Chapter 14: I'm Obviously A Girl. But none of you idiots have to know that...

A week went by quicker then I thought.

Within what felt like the drop of a hat, it was December 15th, a day before Family Day, and I’d heard absolutely no word from Violet.

“I’m freaking out.” I panted, almost pulling the hairs out of my head. “Freaking out, dammit!” I snapped, beads of perspiration running down my temples as I sat down tensely on my bed.

“You’ve heard no word from her?” Alex said, his eyes wide as he peered at me from his upper bunk.

I looked up at him, grimacing, “Yes! No word! And tomorrow, we have the freaking family day!” I said, running a hand through my hair nervously.

“Calm down,” Alex sighed, getting down from his bunk, and sitting down on the ladder, “Just call her.”

I rolled my eyes, frowned, “Yeah, let me just do that. I haven’t thought of that at all.” I scoffed sarcastically. “Thank you, Caption Obvious.”

“Well, you’re welcome Sergeant Sarcastic.” He muttered under his breath, frowning.

Right before I could say anything back to Alex, I suddenly heard a knock at the door. I sighed. The last thing I needed right now was to deal with other people. What I did need was for Vi to answer my frigging calls!

“I’ll be right there!” I sighed, getting up.

~*Kale’s POV*~

“I’ll be right there!” I heard Sam’s voice call from the other side of the door.

I waited nervously on the other side of the door, squirming and fiddling with my thumbs. I couldn’t be around Sam without getting this way anymore. I was so on edge. Sam was a girl! I’d been dealing with the fact for a week at this point, but I still couldn’t believe it. The weight on my conscience was almost too much to bear. What was I supposed to do? I mean, I couldn’t just go up to her and say ‘Oh, hi, I overheard you and Alex talk about you being a girl. Not to mention, I’ve been totally in love with you since you moved here in second grade.’

No. That wouldn’t float my boat. Or hers, for that matter.

But not only was the crushing guilt of knowing her secret forced upon me, but I’d also told her that I had a crush on her. What was I thinking? I mean, Sam looked creeped out when I thought he was really Samantha’s brother. But know that I know he is Samanthait must be a thousand time worse! Ugh! I was an idiot!

My mind traced back to the day I saw her last as a girl. That was the last day I’d spent in Florida. I’d bumped into her…somewhat intentionally. Not to hurt her, or anything, but just to get her attention! I mean, I wanted closure. I wanted to see her for what I thought would be the last time. 
I felt so bad to act like I had no clue who she was; I just didn’t want to make it obvious that I was the closet thing to a stalker there was. Whenever I got a chance to, I’d stare at her, undisturbed. Like that time in the library, where I’d watched her reading her book, Mice and Men.