Chapter 2.

Anna got a ride home after school with her friend Hailey. Hailey only lived a little way down the street from her and even before Hailey had her license they had been riding home from school.

“You’re awfully quiet today.” Hailey commented, “Is something wrong?”

“No, I was just deep in thought. You know it’s only three days until the new FireBird film comes out?” she said excitedly. “I can’t believe it’s been two years since the last one came out! That seems so long ago doesn’t it?”

Hailey laughed, “Yeah, but can you believe we were twelve when we saw the first one? I mean, we were so little!”

Anna nodded, “Yep, so you going to come with me to see the new one?”

“Wouldn’t miss it,” Hailey smiled.

The car stopped in front of Anna’s house. It was a two story house painted blue, the house had no front yard because it sat right on the curb, but the backyard was pretty big. It had a swimming pool, garden and play set that the younger neighbor kids came over all the time to use.  Huge trees lined the street forming a canopy over the road and all who walked on it. 

Anna opened the door and hopped out. She opened the back door and grabbed out her backpack. Bending over by the front window she waved at Hailey.

“Thanks for the ride! I’ll see you tomorrow right?”

Hailey nodded, “Sure thing!” and drove off.

Anna walked up to the front door and reached her hand inside the small window box to the left of the door, the key was hidden inside it in a small ceramic turtle that’s shell opened. Her mom had made the turtle in her kiln out in the garden shed. Ceramics was a hobby of her mothers.  She popped the key in the lock, turned it, and pushed the door open. Her dog JoJo came running up to greet her.

“Hey boy!” she greeted, but didn’t pet him. Her dog had submissive issues and every time she or anyone else tried to pet him he peed.

Anna walked into the kitchen and plopped her bag down on the floor. She didn’t feel like walking upstairs to put it anyway, but she would make sure to before her mom got home.  She walked over to the 'far wall next to the pantry and picked up the phone.

She always called her mom after she got home so that her mom would know she made it home safely.

Ring, Ring, Ring, it rang several times before she heard her mother’s voice on the other end.

“Anna?” her mother asked, “Is that you?”

“Yep, I’m home. I just wanted to let you know.” She paused

“Are you doing anything right now?” her mom asked.

“No, why?”

“We need butter, I am planning on having pasta for dinner and your dad said he would bring home a loaf of bread from the bakery on his way home. But we don’t have butter.”

“Do you want me to walk down to the store?” Anna questioned

“Yes, that’s what I was going to ask you. If you’re not doing anything can you go get some butter? And maybe some eggs as well?”

Anna nodded, “Sure.”

“I’ll pay you back when I  get home ok?” her mom said

“Sure,” Anna replied again

“Okay, be safe ok?”

“Ok, mom,” Anna agreed, “I love you!”

“I love you too.” Her mom replied.

Click, the phone line went dead and Anna placed the phone back on its charger. She walked over to her backpack and rummaged around for her wallet and cell phone. The supermarket was just around the corner at the end of her block, so it wasn’t any trouble walking there.  She put her phone in her pocket and walked out the front door, careful to make sure JoJo was inside the house before she left.

She walked down to the end of the street, and carefully crossed over to the other side. She could see the supermarket up ahead.

The double doors of the store automatically opened as she approached and she grabbed before entering.

“Butter, and eggs. Butter and eggs.” She repeated to herself under her breath.

She walked past the produce and to the back of the store where the eggs and butter were kept. As she pick up a dozen eggs something caught her eye. She put the eggs in the cart and then stood up and turned to see. Two teenage boys were standing in front of the milk debating whether it was better to get whole milk or 2%.

“Whole milk is the milk we drink!” the first boy argued, “2% taste terrible!”

“No, 2% is the milk we usually have. Whole milk is fatty!”

Anna laughed at their conversation. The two boys heard her and turned around. Anna’s eyes widened when she saw that they were two of the boys she had seen sitting outside school earlier.

“Hey!” she exclaimed before she could stop herself, “You’re two of the boys that were playing hooky this morning!”

The two boys stared at Anna, looking very much confused.

“What?” the first boy asked.

Anna’s face turned red and she tried to take back what she said, “Um… no…I…uh… I didn’t say anything?”

The second boy protested, “Yes you did! I heard you! You said we were playing hooky!”

Anna’s face grew even redder with embarrassment.

 “I thought I saw you outside school earlier.” She mumbled

The two boys chuckled, “If you were outside were you playing hooky too?”

“What!” Anna exclaimed “No! I….. Wait! You didn’t deny that you were playing hooky! Aha!”

A smug smile crept across Anna’s face.

The boys started laughing and smiled back at Anna.

“Hi,” the first boy stepped up and introduced himself, “I’m Marco.”

Anna reached out to shake his hand. Her hand slipped into Marco’s and suddenly, so suddenly that she wasn’t sure she imagined it a flash of light exploded before her eyes. Anna jumped back startled. Marco did too.

“What was that?” the second boy muttered.

Anna stuttered, “I-I don’t know.”

Marco glanced at her suspiciously.

“It was nice meeting you.” He said, “But we better be going.”

Quickly he and his friend turned and walked away. Anna stared at the floor, completely mystified by what had just happened.

“Wait!” she called after them, “You forgot to get milk!”

But they were already gone.