Chapter 5: Witch Adventure

We rode in total silence. There was this awkward atmosphere which I didn't know how to deal with. Something went down between the two boys, but I didn't want to push them either. I just kinda dealt with it. I was relieved when Blaise finally spoke up. "Rion, what are your interests? I wish to add you to my notes for future literature."

"I like to sword fight, eat, drink, and travel. I like to meet new people, go on adventures, and just have fun in general." I answered back. "What about you, Blaise? Besides studying and research that is."

He cleared his throat and racked his brain. "Observing others I suppose? Learning about the people and the world around me. I don't get out much, but hopefully, I'll change after this experience."

"I think you will. What about you, Cinder?"

"I like politics and dancing. Maybe some other stuff." he gave a shy smile. I wanted to ask what he meant by "other stuff" but decided against it. I wish I did question further because we sinked back into that awkward atmosphere.

Alright, I was not going to tolerate this for two days. I decided to just speak out. "What is up with you two? It feels freaking weird being like this. I noticed a problem when we first left and the problem that you said was resolved is obviously not resolved. Tell me what's up!" I demanded.

Both of the men grumbled, reluctant to tell me the truth. "We were arguing about guy stuff." Cinder fessed up. He was being discreet about it, and it made me feel a little more impatient. Were all men such babies?

Blaise scoffed at his answer but didn't directly speak against him. 

"Well get over it! Quit being girls about it! Jeez, none of it will matter anyway because someone is going to get married and everyone else will go their separate ways." I scolded. I then clapped my hands together. "Clean slate! There is no problem, I got rid of it, start over!"

The boys were silent for a few seconds. I wanted to know what they were thinking. Cinder then agreed. "Fine. I'm willing to start over."

Blaise nodded with respect. "I guess I am too. But Rion, What do you plan to do when this is all over?"

"Anything the new king and queen ask me I suppose. I won't know until the time comes. I'm only seventeen so I'm still pretty young."

"You're seventeen?!" they both shouted. The sudden outburst made me jump in surprise. I knew I looked a little older than my actual age, but I didn't know I looked like a total adult. It kinda scared me how much older I may actually look in the future. I didn't want to look fifty in my thirties.

"Yeah, I'm still a teenager. So is Princess Ava. How old did you think I was?"

"I knew that the princess would still be young. But I just assumed you were older because of all the stuff you've done. Now that I look at you though, you are obviously young as well. The clothes, personality, and skill makes you seem mature for your age." Blaise explained to me. "I'm turning twenty-two in the summer."

"I just turned twenty last month. Most people in their later years could only dream of doing the things you do now, Rion. It's truly impressive and inspiring." Cinder complimented me. I blushed at his words.

The rest of the ride was a lot more relaxed and free. Our conversations went from serious to comical. I was happy that the men started to get along better than before. We stopped several times to fill out stomachs and let our horses rest. The trip was going smoothly. The weather was nice, and the trees provided shade from the sun.

We approached a heavy forest that was harder to navigate through. It was a shortcut to the next kingdom, but the forest was. . . strange?

It felt colder as we rode through. It wasn't the shade or the breeze, but the temperature was actually dropping. It wasn't long before I had to put on a coat to stay warm. It got even worse when the sun started to set. "We gotta stop and build a fire. It's too dangerous to keep riding like this. For us and the horses."