Chapter 3: Bar Adventure

We raced down the empty streets, passing empty stores and homes until we came closer to the pub. Once again, I heard men laugh and having a good time to the sound of music. Cinder looked nervous as we inched closer to the door. "Just relax and be cool," I advised him as I finally swung open the door.

All the men turned to us and their faces lit up. "Rion!" "Hey!" "We've been waiting for you girl!" They all shouted at once, getting up to shake hands or to give me a pat on the back. Cinder stood awkwardly, shifting his feet back and forth.

One of the men finally noticed him and bowed his head, "Prince Cinder! I didn't know you would be visiting us this evening."

I put my hand on the man's shoulder, "We just came here to have some fun, Lee. Dance, play, drink some good beer. I promised that I would tell you about that one time I ended up partying with some orcs, right?"

Lee relaxed and sat on a stool at the bar. Cinder sat next to me as I sat as well. I asked the bartender for a mug and then I began my story. Everyone stared intensely at me, waiting to hear about my adventures.

"As you all know, I can appreciate a good beer. Maybe a little too much sometimes. Well, one night I decided that I was just going to get totally wasted. Twenty or so beers later, I found myself stumbling, slurring, and eventually, blacking out. When I woke up, it was in my own bed, with my own clothes, and it seemed like last night didn't even happen. But things did happen. I decided to go hunting a couple of days afterwards and I heard wagons and voices coming my way. I ducked down and saw the band of orcs riding along the path-"

"Aren't orcs dangerous and savage?" Cinder interrupted me. Everyone laughed and I just shook my head, taking a swig of my drink.

"They are known to pillage and make a mess of things yes, but you don't give them enough credit. The only reason why they do that is because they don't really have a permanent home, and people always try to pick a fight with them. As I was saying, the orcs were riding along and then one of them spotted me. I rose, ready to pull my sword, but they just greeted me with smiles and laughter. Before I knew it, they invited me along. I said why not and followed them to their camp. The chief gave me a hug and was excited to see me. I didn't recognize her, or anyone for that matter so I asked how they knew me."

"Apparently, that night when I was blackout drunk, I stumbled into the woods, into their camp, and partied with them. Turns out, they love a good party. And I was the main entertainment for them that night. I stayed with them again that night and drank like no tomorrow. It was pretty fun. The next morning, they had to leave, but if I ever needed them for anything, I was free to get in touch with them. The end."

The men all looked at me, clearly impressed with my tale. But then Lee suddenly stood up, "Then let's see you prove it then. Drinking Match!" he challenged as the rest of the men got riled up. The bartender put down two mugs of beer for us to begin. Lee picked up his mug, and I picked up mine. Oh, he's going to regret challenging me on this one.

"First, a toast. To Rion! May your quest be complete and your adventures neverending! Rion!" he toasted to me. All the men joined in with their own drinks and the match started. A downed my first mug in about three seconds, Lee soon behind me. Two more mugs were placed down and we chugged like it was the end of the world. I saw Cinder watch me from the corner of my eye.

He wasn't disgusted, but he was a little surprised. Just by looking at him, I could tell that he wouldn't even be able to hold down a glass of wine without getting blackout drunk. I gave him a wink as I downed my eighth mug, still going strong.

Cinder began to relax and smile. Then, he started to actually cheer me on with the rest of the bar mates. "Go Rion! Drink!"

I took his advice and drank another mug. I could see Lee start to slow down and get a little sick. "What's wrong, Lee? Feeling a ill perhaps? Maybe you should quit now." I taunted him, setting another empty mug on the counter. He gave a short chuckle and slowly drank his beer.