Chapter 23

Chapter 23
Hiccup's POV

I felt a tear slide down my cheek as we stood at the edge. My father's body laid down in the boat, a covering over him, with his helmet on top.  "May the Valkyries welcome you and lead you through Odin's great battlefield. May they sing your name with love and fury so that we may hear it rise from the depths of Valhalla and know that you have taken your rightful place at the table of kings." Gobber conducted the ceremony. I take the bow and arrow and light it on the flaming wreckage, pulling the bowstring back to my face. I breathe in and out as a tear slides down my face. I must stay strong I told myself as I took one more breath waiting for the ceremony to end. "For a great man has fallen. A warrior, a chieftain, a father, a friend." I let go of the bowstring as I watch the arrow fly. It seemed like it was in slow motion. My father was gone I mean, my father is dead, and (Y/N) she's injured. I don't know. My tears fall in silent sobs as I try so hard not to let out a sigh. The others follow in suit as I watch the boat go up into flames. "I'm sorry dad. I'm not the chief that you wanted me to be, and I'm not the peace keeper I thought I was. I don't know..." I said letting out a sigh. My mom came over to me and started talking to me, seeing my troubles. "You came early into this world; you were such a wee thing. So frail, so fragile, I feared you wouldn't make it. But you father, he never doubted. He always said you would become the strongest of them all, and he was right. You have the heart of a chief and the soul of a dragon.  Only you can bring our worlds together. That is who you are, son." She told me to comfort me. "I, ah... I was so afraid of becoming my dad mostly because I thought I never could. How do you become someone that great, that brave, that selfless?" I said and turned to the group as they were listening. "I guess you can only try. A chief protects his own. We're going back." I said thinking about the baby dragons that don't listen to anyone. "Uh, with what?" Tuffnut questioned. "Uh, he too all the dragons." Ruffnut said. "Not all of them." I smirked.