14 : ambedo

author's note : i hope you guys like this chapter & please comment if you've did. i absolutely love reading all of your comments, as it brings me an inexplicable joy. 

[for Anouk, you are one of the loveliest (a little bit crazy at that) people i've ever met and i look up to you and your writings.]

❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖

14 : ambedo

"And, in the end,

we were all just humans,

drunk on the idea that love,

only love, could heal our brokenness."

- Christopher Poindexter

❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖

ambedo :

(n) : a kind of melancholic trance

in which you become completely absorbed

in vivid sensory details

❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖

A TINY SMILE FLITTED UPON HIS lips all throughout our walk towards the seaside. Perhaps, along the way, I had been badgering him about what he had in mind for our said week of firsts.

He shoved his tethering backpack further up his shoulder with a slight raise of his eyebrow once he caught me giving him a sidelong look. "Are you ready?"

A mocking grin turned up the corners of my lips as I squared my shoulders and held my chin aloft. "Oh, I was born ready."

We then inched closer towards the immense stretch of the beach. I shoved off my slippers and hooked them to my index finger, having my toes sink gradually under the searing grains of sand. I strode barefoot beside him, trailing across the oceanfront with nothing but pensiveness keeping me at bay.

Almost immediately, I found myself basking not only in the warmth of the sun but also in the summer atmosphere. It all but alleviated the worries off of my chest, as well as those pressing second thoughts whirling across my mind. I wouldn't dare put a damper on such an incomparable experience – especially if you've been cooped up in your room as I have.

He swept an amused glance over his shoulder with a hint of a surreptitious smile on his lips. "Well . . .do you know exactly what I had in mind or are you just this unusually confident?"

"Well, you didn't really give me a clue about your grand master plan," I pointed out airily, trailing behind him even as I tried to keep up with his pace.

"Then that would ruin the element of surprise I was going for," he tilted his head to the side almost indistinctly.

I broke into an unhurried jog to catch up to him once he propped his belongings on a contiguous lounge chair. With a mirthful grin, I pressed further. "What are you up to?"