11 : klexos

Author's note:

this chapter is unedited, however i sure hope you like it! + first time for me to attempt to write fluff, can't say it was a success so don't go too hard on me. 

[for Miksha, you are one of the many people I consider my friend + very interesting to talk to. I can't wait to read your works because I know you're excellent at what you're doing.]

❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖

11 : klexos

"Why are you such an ass?" The words came out before I could think twice.

"Everyone has to excel at something, right?"

"Well, you're doing a great job."

- Jennifer Armentrout, 'Obsidian'

❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖

klexos (n):

the art of dwelling on the past

❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖

AFTER A FEW MOMENTS TRICKLED BY, it was almost as if the prior conversation hadn't happened. All that stood in place of our conversation were the subtle humming of the radio and the whirring of cars.

His blithe voice pierced through the silence rather effectively. "Where to next, Scarlett Red?"

I immediately quirked an eyebrow in sheer mirth – but I mentioned nothing about my moniker – and replied, "Giselle told me a few days ago she wanted me to meet her before I leave. You do remember where her apartment is, yeah?"

"Actually," he drawled as the impish gleam in his bright eyes became a lot more prominent than it already is, swallowing what was left of the seriousness they bore earlier. "She's crashing Ivan's place."

As an attempt to suppress my apparent suspicion, I opted for a slow, cavalier chuckle that clearly had Conrad taken aback. For all he knew, I could've settled on a rude approach and jibed at his friend's intention.

His eyebrows shot up near his hairline and his lips displayed a lopsided grin. "I thought you'd threatened to castrate Ivan if he broke Giselle's heart," he suggested lightly.

A faint laugh escaped my lips before I could even utter a word. "I wouldn't have been unpredictable then," I quipped, resting my head absentmindedly against the glass window.

"And why is being unpredictable important to you?" he asked out of sheer curiosity hinting at his features. Though all that I could see was his side profile, the meagre change in his expression supported his unexpected interest.

Considering that he could only see a glimpse of my expression, I instinctively let my lips turned up in a sad smile, a smile I wouldn't have disclosed to anyone. "Even I don't know. My brothers tell me it's a Landon thing."