05 : altschmerz

author's note : thank you so much for the 10k reads and nearly 400 votes! never really expected this to happen :) i am eternally grateful for all of you. so, comment and vote if you enjoyed this chapter! due to the influx of school work, this chapter is quite condensed, i am truly sorry for that. the next, i hope, will be better.

[For Crystal, your comments downright make my day and for that, I am truly grateful to have you as a reader.]

❖❖❖❖❖❖❖

05 : altschmerz

05 : altschmerz

"She was broken,

I think it's because she loved too much

and she was always blind

to the fact that

love too is sometimes broken."

- Robert M. Drake

❖❖❖❖❖❖❖

altschmerz (n):

weariness with the same old issues

that you've always had

the same boring flaws and anxieties

that you've been gnawing on for years.

❖❖❖❖❖❖❖

HE HAPHAZARDLY SHIFTED IN HIS SEAT AS he propped his sweatpants clad leg on top of the other — eyes still trained on mine. The passiveness that enveloped his eyes didn't quite escape my notice and it was thickening by the second.

"What does it take for you to say yes?" he probed with austerity materialising in his eyes.

It is without a doubt beyond me that he is alacritous. He could've gone with much better options, ones that didn't need the coercion to do so. But, the thought of him wasting his day on someone as tenaciously stubborn as I am, beats me.

There was a sliver of my being that dissuaded me to accept his offer, without any strings that are to be pulled at my expense. If anything, he was doing me a bloody favour. Anyone who knew me would cognise the need for me to leave the place that prompted many cordial memories – even if it was for a little while.

On the contrary, there was another half that ruled him out as an ostentatious stranger who had the upper hand. Be it as it may, we've only had a few words exchanged and that was literally akin to a bloody outsider, if anything.