Part 2, Chapter 6: True Love

A couple of weeks later, Blake and I were sitting in the cafeteria after school. Normally, we would be going to basketball practice, but practice wasn't until six o'clock today, so most of the varsity players were going home until practice started, but Blake and I were temporizing in the cafeteria. He was holding my hand and rubbing his thumb across the back of my hand.

Then, I saw Will walk by with Carol.

What happened to Carol and Brett?

I turned to Blake. "Did Carol and Brett break up?" I asked.

"Yeah," Blake said. "They broke up last week."

"Really?" I asked. "How did I not know this?"

Blake shrugged. I looked back over at Will and Carol. Will's hand slipped into Carol's back pocket. I shuddered at the sight. Blake turned around to see what I was looking at, then turned back around to face me.

"Krista, I know you've always like Will, and that you still do," Blake said.

"No," I lied.

"Look, I know that you rode home with Will after our argument a couple of weeks ago," Blake said.

"Yeah," I admitted. I wasn't going to lie about that.

"Why did you ride home with him? You could have ridden home with anybody else!" Blake demanded.

"He offered, and I wasn't going to be rude and say no," I replied. That wasn't the only reason, but Blake didn't need to know that.

"Did you do anything with him?" Blake asked.

"No," I lied. Yes, we made out and said "I love you." No big deal.

Blake sighed. "Krista, everybody says stuff about you and Will, and Will has said many things that make me think that you two are a little bit more than friendly," Blake said.

"Like what?" I asked, narrowing my eyes in suspicion. "What has he said that would make you think that?"

"He just talks about you all the time," Blake replied, "and he just--it's complicated."

"Tell me," I demanded.

"It's complicated, okay? Calm down," Blake ordered.

"No, I'm not going to calm down," I said. "I think you're just telling me that because Will hasn't said anything that gives you reason to suspect that we're doing things behind your back. Also, what has everyone else been saying about Will and I?"

"They say that you make out with him after practice when I'm not there," Blake explained, "and they say that you sleep with him when I'm not around."

"Who says that they're telling the truth?" I asked.

"Krista, you've lied to me about where you were and what you were doing many times," Blake said. "That leads me to believe that you're with Will."

"I'm not, Blake!" I shouted, bursting into tears. "Why would you believe everyone else over your own girlfriend? Why can't you trust me?"

"Give me one reason why I should trust you," Blake retorted. His topaz eyes were angry. A crowd had gathered around us, and it made me feel embarrassed.

"I'm your girlfriend, shouldn't that be enough for you to trust me?" I sobbed. I grabbed my bags and stormed out of the school, bawling. It was a good thing I had driven myself to school, so that I could just drive myself home and not have to worry about getting a ride.

When I got home, I took off my clothes, leaving on my bra and underwear, and I put my robe on. I flopped down on my bed with my laptop and turned it on. Tears still streamed down my face. I opened up Microsoft Word on my laptop and opened up my unfinished English essay, but I couldn't think of anything else to write because I was too upset. I closed out of my essay and decided to finish it later. I got on Facebook and logged into my account, which I knew was just going to make me more depressed, but I didn't care.