Part 1, Chapter 7: Brett

The next year, Josh was gone. Rumors circulated, but then our teachers told us that he had moved overseas over the summer.

Back in sixth grade, I had taken a test that determined whether or not I was eligible to take advanced math classes. I had passed, so I had taken eighth grade math in my seventh grade year. Now that I was a junior, I was going to be taking Pre-Calculus. On the first day of school, I found myself seated across from a hot senior named Brett. I was always confused in Pre-Calc. After constantly asking Brett for help, he offered to tutor me.

On the first day that Brett was to tutor me, Will walked me to my car after his football practice and after my volleyball practice.

"What are you so happy about today?" Will asked, observing my unusual giddiness.

"I don't know," I lied.

"C'mon, I know you, Krista," Will said. "Something good happened today. What's going on?"

I looked up at Will and giggled. Good thing Brett wasn't here to see this.

"Let me guess. Zac Efron called and invited you to the movies," Will teased, grinning at me.

"Close," I replied. "I have a study date after school with a hot senior."

"A study date?" Will inquired. "I'm not sure how much studying will be going on, but that's cool."

I laughed. "I guess it's not exactly a date," I said. "He just offered to tutor me because I don't understand anything in Pre-Calc."

"Why didn't you just ask me for help?" Will asked.

"You're not in Pre-Calc," I replied.

"Right. I'm in Calculus," Will said. "That makes me smarter than you, or whoever's tutoring you."

"Brett Rodgers," I said.

Will made a face. "I hate that asshole," he said.

"'Hate' is a strong word," I said, "and he's not an asshole."

"You might think that," Will said, "but you just wait."

"Will, you don't have to get mad about this," I said. "It's no big deal."

"Yes, it is! I can't let you be with him!" Will shouted.

"We're not a couple yet, Will," I said. "Calm down."

"Krista, you need to stay away from him!" Will yelled. "I can't let you get hurt!"

"Will, I'm not going to get hurt," I said. "I'll be fine. You don't need to protect me."

"Yes, I do!" Will shouted. "If anything happens to you, I'll-" he sighed "-I'll never forgive myself."

"Will, you can't hold yourself responsible for my mistakes," I said.

"I do, though," Will said. "I'm sorry. Do whatever you want and just know that I'm here for you." He walked away.

Later, after I got home, my doorbell rang. I opened the door to find Brett on my doorstep.

"Hey," he said.

"Hi, Brett," I said, trying not to pass out just from looking at his perfect features.

The next day, we graded our homework in class. I had my paper passed back with seven problems wrong. Maybe Will was right; maybe I should've asked him for help instead, but then I wouldn't get to hang out with Brett after school.

Brett continued to tutor me through November. One day, when we'd had a half-day at school and we finished our homework early, Brett drove me to Starbucks. I ordered my usual tall mocha light Frappuccino while he ordered a venti café latte. We sat down at a small table meant for two people.