Part Two: Chapter Nine: Prom

Prom was the first Saturday in May. Ever since Will had asked me, I'd been looking for it. The stress that had gone with preparing for prom had overwhelmed for weeks, but now that the day had come, it seemed worth it. I woke up early in the morning to go get my nails done; I got French tips on both my fingers and toes. After getting my nails done, I got my hair done; it took hours. My hairdresser curled my hair and then pinned back some of my hair, leaving some strands in the front loose. Then, I had my makeup done. The makeup artist put all sorts of things on my face that I didn't even know existed before that day. She gave me a smoky eye with winged eyeliner, filled in my eyebrows a little bit, and applied red lipstick. When I looked in the mirror, I gasped; for once, I thought I looked really beautiful.

Throughout the day, Will texted me to ask how I was and told me over and over that he couldn't wait to see me that night and that he knew I looked beautiful.

When I got home, I changed into my dress. It was black with a sweetheart neckline and a mesh covered in rhinestones that went up to my neck, with no sleeves. I wore silver peep-toe heels to match and long silver earrings. I was just walking down the stairs to show my parents when I heard the doorbell ring. I hurried to answer the door, and when I opened the door, there stood Will, looking as handsome as ever in a tux. He was holding a bouquet of daisies, my favorite. He looked me up and down, and he smiled, looking at me with more ardor than ever.

"Krista," he said, "you look so...beautiful."

"You don't look too bad yourself," I said, with a grin. He smiled and wrapped his arms around me. 

My parents walked in. "Turn around, Krista," my mom said. I turned around. "Wow. You look stunning. Every boy is going to be jealous of Will tonight."

I smiled. Will stepped forward and said, "I'm very lucky to be taking the most beautiful girl in the world to prom."

My parents smiled. "Drive safe," my dad said.

"I will," Will said. "I promise."

I took his arm and he led me out to his car.  He opened the door on the passenger side for me, bowing for me as if I was a queen. I laughed at him.

"I'm just treating my girl like she deserves to be treated," he said, smiling. He ran over to the driver's side, got in, and started the car. After we backed out of my driveway, he took my hand in his. We drove over to his friend Taylor's house, where we were taking pictures. A lot of moms were there, including Will's mom. Will stopped the car and got out, rushing over to my side to open the door. When I got out of the car, I took his arm. Amy was there with her date, a junior whose name I didn't know. Unfortunately, Britney was there too; she was going with Taylor. I hadn't spoken to her since I'd gotten with Blake; even though that was just months ago, it seemed like a lifetime ago. 

"Are you okay, love?" Will asked. "You're shaking."

"Britney's here," I said.

"Oh," Will said. "You had a falling out with her after...after--well, you know."

"Yeah."

First, Will's mom took some pictures of just Will and I. She took a picture of me pinning Will's boutonniere to his jacket, and pictures of Will putting my corsage on. Then, we took group pictures. I managed to avoid Britney until we were about to leave.

"Krista wait!" she shouted, running after me.

"What?" I asked, trying not to sound rude. I'd been hoping to avoid her.

"Krista," she said. "I'm so sorry."

"Sorry for what?" I asked. I knew what she'd done, but I didn't know what exactly she was sorry for.