1. Maradonna

"So... What shall we do next?"I broke the minute of silence awkwardly while sitting in the middle of the circle made by my friends and I.

We were sitting on the beach, the wind was gently stroking my messy hair, and I tried to have some fun but each and every day it was more obvious that that wasn't  happening soon.

I was bored. Really, really bored. The sun was still shining. It wasn't even late and I was already bored. I didn't know how I'd make it till midnight if it'd be like that.

"Umm, maybe we could prank call someone." Marita, the youngest of us all, enthusiastically said.

'What are we? Twelve?" Silvija rolled her eyes and yelled.

"Well, technically, I AM 12...' Marita said shyly and as she usually did when she was nervous, started to chop off the skin around her thumbnails.  I pinched her and glared at her so she'd stop doing that.

"Ouch, that hurt, glupačo!" she yelled and cursed on Croatian. I laughed because our conversations were always a mix of loads of languages. Today it was a mix of English and Croatian. Fine with me.

"You're not allowed to swear, Missy. You're only 12." I teased her and pushed her a little. Too bad she was so sensitive and took everything seriously. Even jokes like this.

She frowned and stood up, cleaning the sand from her butt. "Why do you always mention my age in such situations?" she was about to cry as she said that and it made me extremely annoyed.

"Come on, Mari, I was freaking joking. Why do you always do that? I'm sorry, but I'm so fucking done with your stupid, childish behavior. I'm seriously done." I was the one who stood up now. Everyone was quiet and was looking at us with confusion.

I was done. For real this time. What kind of teenager hangs around 12-year-olds anyway?

"Just... Just forget about it! I think I'll go home!" I sighed and fast walked to the stairs that lead to my house.

"Pippa, wait!" I could hear Silvija yelling and running towards me."I'm come with you. I mean, if I stay any longer there, I think I snap." Her bad English made me smile a little bit. I loved her harsh accent and bad grammar. It made her look even cuter, if it was even possible since she was tiny like a mouse, with long caramel-coloured hair she's put in a ponytail.

I smiled at my Croatian friend and slightly pulled her ponytail.

"You and me together... We're not easy to handle, 'm I right?" I smiled while I was searching for the keys.

"Tako je!" (That's right!) she said in Croatian.

It wasn't that strange talking on two languages at the same time, as you might assume. At least not for me. My mom was Croatian and my dad was American, so I was fluent in both English and Croatian. I've lived in Zagreb, the capital of Croatia, since I was 7 and I don't remember the last time I was in America. At first, it was hard to leave the country I was born in, but after a while I got used to Croatia. And now... Now I wouldn't trade it for nothing.

I mean, yes... Croatia really is a small country and not a lot of people know about it but that's what makes it so special. And also... Not to forget to mention that Croatian food is delicious and boys are yummy too.

Anyway, I can stop babbling now.

Silvija and I walked to my house straight to my room and took one last glance at the beach our kid-friends stayed at. I could feel they were staring at us, but I didn't mind. I was so over this. I didn't want to be put in some kind of a box. I didn't want to limit myself for doing things that made me happy and I sure as hell didn't want to spend my precious time with kids that were 4 or even 5 years younger than me.