Epilogue

The sun beamed down on my face. It seemed poignant that the sun was out in all its glory on the day I was sent to complete my first job. Humming to myself, I tried to gather my confidence together, the only thing I lacked. Maximus’s torture had taken more out of me than blood and pain. It had taken three weeks, but physically, I was fully healed apart from the scar on my chest. It itched sometimes, but I would take that over torture and death any day. Mentally was another story, one I wasn’t particularly ready to deal with.

I took short, quick strides, counting fourteen at a time as I wondered at how much one short month had changed my world. I was more aware of the vampire side of me, I was in the employment of the head vampire in Ireland, I was back in touch with my grandmother, and I wasn’t so scared of humans anymore. Seclusion didn’t seem like the best idea any longer, but there was still fear. I had opened myself up to so many people—I was afraid of being hurt by them.

Life wasn’t perfect. My grandmother and I weren’t exactly close, but at least I could call her and know she wouldn’t howl at the moon about it or call me Lilith for my trouble. I wasn’t sure if we could ever be close, but we were working on rebuilding our relationship. Admittedly, she was the one making the effort, but as far as I was concerned, she was the one who had screwed things up in the first place.

Carl was having problems adjusting to his normal life, so I was keeping out of his way—and away from the memory of his blood. He didn’t talk about it much, but I sensed he was having a hard time dealing with it. I still felt the occasional ache after our bond was ripped apart. I didn’t want to ask how it was going for him.

Peter had gone off my radar for the most part. I didn’t know if I could trust him. Between him bringing me to Eddie in the first place, agreeing on my behalf to work for Daimhín, and possibly being the boyfriend of Daimhín’s day assistant, I wasn’t sure what to think.

The loose ends made me panic. Besides knowing I had a lifetime of “favours” to do for Daimhín, I owed one to Eddie, too. He could collect at any time, and I still wasn’t sure who he really was, or if he was keeping an eye on me. Even Arthur had warned me to trust no one, but his warning was too vague to be of any real use.

Thinking about everything unsettled me. I swallowed down an anxiety attack and concentrated on making it through the day. I held my cross and counted to fourteen as I waited for a set of traffic lights to change. Even though the magic had worn off, I still felt something in the silver. It comforted me, and I was sure it had to have some remnants of power remaining because the thirst was nowhere near as uncontrollable as it had been despite the fact it had been fed while I was badly injured.

The cold presence was still hanging around. I didn’t have a clue what it was, but I was sure it had tried to warn me of danger, and for that, I was grateful.

I slipped my hand in my pocket and felt the warmth of the dagger. Eddie hadn’t asked for it back, and I wasn’t going to hand it over voluntarily. I still felt a huge sense of ownership. It was overflowing with power; I would be nothing without it.

I reached my destination all too soon. Wrapped up in my own thoughts, I hadn’t realised how fast I had been walking. Taking a deep breath, I walked through the gate and straight up to the bodyguards at the front door. Adrenalin buzzed through my veins, but I hoped I wouldn’t have to hurt the humans.

Two tall, bulky men stepped in my way. I gripped the dagger tightly, remembering my instructions to leave an obvious message.

One of the men laughed scornfully. “Are we supposed to be scared of that little butter knife?”

“No, you’re supposed to be scared of these,” I hissed, letting my fangs show freely.

The man paled and ran, not loyal enough to risk being bitten. The other hesitated even when I got in his face. I groaned inwardly then kneed him in the groin. Hard. He jerked backward without a sound. I watched with some fascination as his face turned white, then red and finally purple. Wheezing, he toppled over, clutching at himself, no longer a threat to anyone.