Chapter Seven

Once we were safely outside, I took a deep breath. “That was a waste of time.”

“Don’t worry. We’ll come back,” Peter said, leading the way again.

“Hey, how come those vampires left us alone back there?” I asked him as I beckoned Carl to follow.

Peter shushed me and darted his head around. I was about to ask him what was wrong but suddenly realised how quiet it was. No heartbeats. No couples. Just the three of us and a feeling that someone else was there. Someone with no heartbeat.

A figure in black jumped noiselessly from somewhere above down to the alleyway a few metres ahead of us. I screamed and grabbed Peter’s hand. His palm was large and warm. I expected him to shrug me away, but he kept his eyes on the figure before us. After a second, Peter squeezed my hand and slowly let go, taking a half step in front of me and Carl.

“I hear you’ve been asking about me,” said the figure. I squinted until my eyes adjusted to the dark and realised it was the vampire who had originally attacked Carl.

“It’s him,” I whispered.

“You Arthur?” Peter asked loudly, his voice steady.

The vampire nodded, his lank hair falling over his eyes. “I remember you,” he said to me.

“Yeah, um, hi,” I said, unable to think of anything less lame.

“You’re an interesting one,” he said. His voice was dry and raspy, even though I smelled blood and could tell he had just drank from someone. He took a step toward me.

“Stay back,” Peter ordered.

Arthur looked surprised but obeyed. “As honoured as I am you’ve bestowed a visit on little old me, I’ve things to do. Get on with it. What do you want?”

“You witnessed something between these two,” Peter said. “She claimed him and now wants to undo it. She needs you to reject the claim.”

“Really,” said Arthur, the corners of his mouth curving into a mocking smile. “And I benefit how?”

Peter hesitated. “I don’t know. If you’re lucky maybe I won’t end you.”

I gasped, but Arthur threw back his head and laughed. “It’s true what they say about you,” he said. “All brawn and no brain. But forget you. It’s her I’m interested in.”

I put my hand on Peter’s arm to silence him. His face was red with rage, but I could sense his fear.

“Can you help me?” I said, taking a cautious step forward. Arthur flew toward me as fast as lightning, gripping me and pulling me away from Peter before I could make a sound. My feet never touched the ground. Arthur held my gaze as he swept me further into darkness. Peter swore as he and Carl ran after us, but I shouted at them to stop. They both skidded to a halt as I carefully took Arthur’s hands from me. The faint odour of decay and the thundering of Peter’s heartbeat made me skittish, but something about Arthur felt kindred.

He gazed at me in wonder for a moment, then bent his head and pressed his ear to my chest. I looked helplessly at Peter who seemed as stunned as I was. Carl relaxed. Even he could tell Arthur meant me no harm.

Arthur stepped away from me at last, his eyes watering with bloody tears. “It’s true,” he whispered. “You’re alive. But how?” He gripped my shoulders tightly. “Tell me,” he urged. “How did he do it? Are there more?”

I shook my head, wondering who he was talking about. “Just me. And I need help first.”

Arthur frowned. “If I help you, will you come with me? To see the head of my coven? He’s interested in you. I didn’t understand when I first saw you, but now I get it. This changes everything.”