Chapter Thirteen

Once again, I found myself sneaking out of Peter’s house. I originally planned to call a taxi, but I had forgotten my mobile. I decided to run and look out for a car on the way, but changed my mind when I realised I was running fast. Very fast. Determined, I pushed myself harder and harder, to the quiet outskirts of the city. I found my way to Maximus’s place easily. It was as though I honed in on his location.

He lived in a fancy mansion-sized building on a small but well-kept estate. I should have guessed. The exterior decorating made me want to puke, all overdone fountains and played-out colours. I was surprised by how unafraid I was. I had worked myself up into a fit of anger that was keeping me going. If I was entirely honest, part of me was too tired to care if I lived or died.

Two vampires stood outside the house and clocked me with surprise clear on their faces.

“I’m here to see Maximus,” I said. To my relief, my voice stayed steady. They let me pass without speaking a word.

The front door opened before I reached it. A young girl dressed in a stereotypical slutty maid costume greeted me. Puncture wounds on her neck were barely healed. I stifled a shudder.

“Follow me,” she said in a sweet voice. I wanted to cry for her. She was someone’s kid.

She moved purposely slowly then gave a neat little curtsey and held open a door for me. I made my way into the room, recognising Maximus straight away—even if I hadn’t, it was obvious who was in charge. He was the one reclining on an old-fashioned chaise longue, fawned over by the others. One vampire sat closer to Maximus than the rest, his blond hair caressed by Maximus’s oversized hands.

“Come in, come in,” Maximus called out, as if I were an old friend. He rose to his feet and knocked the blond vampire aside carelessly. That vampire scowled behind Maximus’s back, hatred in his eyes.

“I really didn’t expect to see you so soon,” Maximus said.

I stepped closer to him. “You have my grandmother?” I said as boldly as I dared.

Maximus grinned and tossed his hair. “I do, indeed. But enough about that—”

“Let her go, and then we’ll talk.”

Maximus frowned. I obviously wasn’t acting the way he wanted me to. Judging by some of the other vampires in the room, he was used to those more docile than I.

“I don’t want to,” he said, surprise making his voice high. I noticed the blond vampire roll his eyes, and a couple of others shook their heads in disgust—maybe Maximus wasn’t a popular leader, after all.

“Then I won’t talk.” I shrugged and put my hands in my pockets so he wouldn’t see them shake.

For a couple of seconds, I expected him to attack. His chin shook, and his eyes narrowed as he looked at me, but then the smile returned. “I think you will, young lady, but I don’t mind humouring you. Bring out the old woman.”

He stared me down as two vampires left the room. They weren’t as thin as Arthur, but they seemed as obedient as Carl had been. Either vampires could control other vampires, or else they were terrified of Maximus.

The duo soon returned with my grandmother. I cried out at the state she was in. She had aged dramatically since I last saw her. She had been spry my whole life, but now she looked unbelievably frail. Tears formed in my eyes as I noticed dried blood splattered on her clothing and one side of her face. One of her eyes was bruised purple. Her face lit up with hope when she saw me, but the spark died almost as quickly.

“Let her go.” I spoke through clenched teeth, ready to fight, but not willing to risk my grandmother being hurt. Our past didn’t matter anymore—I wasn’t about to let the vampires have her. Especially not Maximus.

“She’s a feisty old lady,” Maximus said, wandering over to her and lifting her chin. “I’d like to keep her.” He turned to gauge my reaction with some satisfaction.

“If you want my help then you won’t piss me off. Don’t give me a reason to look for revenge.” I glared at him, his arrogance making me stubborn. He wanted me to join him yet he threatened my family? His mistake.

Some of his vampire cronies rose to their feet and hissed their disapproval. Maximus laughed heartily, joined by his blond sidekick, as if they enjoyed the show.

“I’ll let her go as soon as you tell me all about yourself. This little old lady knows nothing, it seems.” He said it lightly, but I could feel his irritation and guessed my grandmother had been as stubborn as me. My chest swelled up with pride and gratitude as I realised she kept my secret.

“She’s practically senile,” I said, trying to sound scornful, bluffing in the hopes at least one of us would get out of the building alive. “She probably doesn’t even remember who I am. But still, she’s family. Let me send her off safely. If she calls me from a friend’s place, then I’ll do what you like. Me for her. What do you think?” I sauntered around the room, touching vases as I spoke. Maximus flinched each time. I picked one vase up and pretended to let it fall. Maximus cried out in horror. Imagine, a vampire attached to old pieces of pottery and glass.

“Whoops!” I put the vase back down and smiled sweetly at Maximus. “Well?”

“Fine,” he said, charging past me to inspect his possessions.  He pouted, probably because I wasn’t begging, and I realised that everything had to be dramatic for him. I couldn’t help wondering how he had become the coven leader when he seemed more concerned with getting attention than anything else.

“Get her out of here!” he shouted at the closest vampire to him who bowed her head and edged away from him.

“I need to say goodbye first,” I said, stalling. “This is the last time I’ll see her.”

“True enough,” Maximus said. The reminder seemed to cheer him up.

My grandmother swallowed a sob. I was only glad she had the peace of mind to keep quiet.

“Back off,” I snapped at the vampires who held her. They moved away without argument. Maximus launched into an insulting tirade against them for not standing their ground. I saw it as an opportunity.

I grabbed my grandmother tightly then quickly slipped the dagger from the sleeve of my coat under her top to her waistband, hoping no one would notice. “Stay safe,” I said.

Her chin quavered.  “I love you, Ava. I’m so sorry for everything.”

“I know. It’s okay. I’ll be okay. Go to Peter, call me, and let me know you’re safe. Don’t worry about me now.” I didn’t believe her, but I wasn’t as scared anymore. I was sort of resigned to the fact something bad was going to happen to me. At least I had helped Carl; that counted for something.

Maximus gestured idly toward us. “Take her to her desired destination. See she makes it alive.” He sounded bored, and I wanted to hurt him—force him to take our lives seriously. A couple of vampires grabbed my grandmother’s arms and led her away. I watched her leave and felt completely alone.