Four

The sky was splattered with a broken egg yolk. I felt the warmth of the sun fade away.

How did it come to this. He chained me. It took him only one day to do that. 24 fudging  hours. You're not your old self, Ela. You've weakened.

My started to buzz. A message from the devil himself.

'I expect you at the main building, 8:30 AM sharp. Be on time. I don't tolerate carelessness. Do yourself a favour by adding my number to your speed dial. (That is the only advice I will give you.) - Adem Duke.'

The courage of that man! He is so... So... Infuriating! Despicable!

I could picture his arrogance. His eyes hard as grey steel. Challenging me to crack. But no. I will not give him that pleasure. Not now! Not ever.

'That is the only advice I give you.' I mimicked with a childish tone.

Aylin. What am I going to say to her? I couldn't tell the truth. If she'd found out, she would try to help me. No. I couldn't include her in this. I still didn't knew what Adem Duke really wanted. I was smarter than to believe his pathetic excuse. Why would he wasted so much energy to get me to work for him? He could easily get someone else. I didn't like it one bit.

I swallowed. And again. It was as dry as the desert in my throat. Recent events played like a broken record. Again. And again.

When I signed the contract, he didn't even blink. My eyes followed his movements. Making sure to not miss a thing. He neatly folded the paper and deposited it in his tailcoat pocket. Like the paper didn't hold any value to him. Which probably was the case. It was mere business. He wanted me to work for him and he got it. The part that scared me the most was that he didn't show any emotion at all. His face was just as blank as the back of that bloody paper. A couple of letters scrambled together and my signature. That was all he needed.

I forced myself to walk and think. I needed to clear my head.