Three

After that, I went home. My mind wandered and was captured with him. That son of a biscuit. Breath Ela. You're home. You're safe.

The sun went down and left the whole sky in a hazy grey. The colour of his eyes. Adem Duke. The Adem Duke. Out of all people he had to hit me with his motorcycle. I didn't know him personally but I didn't need to. Because everyone knew him. Mr. Duke was one of the most famous entrepreneurs of all time. However, I knew better than to believe some silly papers that told so.

For those who don't know Duke's Care Company. It's a company that ensures that deadly diseases are mutated in chronic diseases. An example? Cancer. The past decade we couldn't imagine that cancer could be cured one day. That it would be treatable. And now? Exactly. Because of chemotherapy and other treatment it was possible to survive cancer. 'Treat first what kills first.' I mumbled. The famous statement of Elias Duke. Father of Adem Duke. But in contrary to Adem Duke, I respected his father. His father dedicated his life to cure deadly diseases. I didn't fancy his son. His son was only known as the most desired man of the district.

I really didn't understand my own kind. Women. Why on earth would you like or even tolerate a man like him.

In my eyes he didn't achieve something of real value. Shallow. Flat. He was selfish. You didn't have to know him, to know that.

Why are you thinking of him! You have more important things to worry about. I took a deep breath.
Erase it. Out of sight, out of mind.

'Ela, is that you.'
The light steps of my roommate Aylin gave me comfort.

'Yes, Lin.' I said with a warm smile. Worry lines were written on her face.
'Where have you been?! I've been worried sick about you whereabouts and well being.'

'I-i was in an traffic accident.' I broke. Tears streamed down my face like a tap being left on in an empty house.

'H-he wants something from me.' I said, wiping of my last salty tears at my sleeve.

'You said you could not pay him.' I nodded absently.
'But even so, he forced you to stay?'
'Yes and no. He want me to pay him off, by working for him.'
'And you accepted his offer?'
'No.' Her eyes held a million of questions and I sighed.

I stood up and I saw the room seemed to keep rotating. I needed to rest. 'If you excuse me, I'm going to take a shower. Can you please call my work to say I am am not able to come in today.'

Aylin blocked my way. I pleaded her with my eyes. I can't do this now.
'You're unbelievable.' She never was the pushy type of person, so she let me pass.

I turned off the rusty shower faucet and exited the bathroom. Just as I closed my eyes, I heard something buzzing. My sleepy eyes searched the source of the fizzling. It was my cellphone. I didn't recognise the number. Probably my work. Great job, Aylin. But I knew she had the right to be angry at me.

I left out the formalities and started to ramble. 'My apologies. I can explain my unprofessional behaviour. I-'

The frigid voice interrupted me. Unfortunately I knew this voice.
'Yes Ela. Please enlighten me. What is your well-grounded explanation. It has to be something worthy to break your promise to call me when you were safe and sound.'
He sounded almost astonished I didn't call him. Like no one disobeyed him. Which probably was true. However, he didn't know me. I refused to be one of his puppets!