Chapter 30

IF YOU READ THIS CHAPTER PLEASE COMMENT!!! i really love comments. they make my day soo much better, so please. please comment. i'm literally begging. :'( it's pathetic.

This chapter is not fully edited, since i wrote it very quickly, but i wanted to get it uploaded asap. :)

I hope you enjoy. <3

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stepping through the large framed metal gateway, Chance and I looked around at the light, booths, and massive tents. It was pitch black in the parking lot, and we had groped our way towards the glowing lights of the Carnival. It was warm out and I was stuffy under my jacket. After waiting in line, we were finally inside and ready to explore the grounds, while secretly searching for Amanda and her date.

“I knew you liked her all along,” Chance said for the twentieth time. He had been repeating those seven words all night.

“I know you knew,” I said, “since you seem to know just about everything.”

“I really am a genius.” He bragged and looked around, over most of the heads in the crowd. He was much taller than me anyway, so he could search better than I could. He had easily agreed to help me on my mission. Amanda was his best friend too, and even though he would never like her- the way I did- she still meant a lot to him. To see her off with some… some… hooligan! It was completely out of the question.

“What should I say to her? If she finds us first? What should I say?”

“Well, first you should apologize for acting like a douche. Second, you should tell her you acted like a douche because you love her. And third, you should make out and win her heart.”

“Fat chance,” I sighed, depression weighing on me. “She won’t…” I whispered, my voice loosing its sound in the giant herd of people.

“Won’t what?”          

            “She’s never gunna like me back. I mean, really, Chance.”         

            Chance gave a very loud sigh of irritation and rolled his eyes. “Give me one good reason why not.” He ordered. I opened my mouth. “Besides your face…”

            I was silent.

            Reaching up, I lightly touched my fingers to the course side of my face. Gently rubbing my palm over my skin, I felt the bumps and patches and I traced the lines of scars. It’s amazing how all self-confidence can be smothered by a stranger’s whisper in a crowd. Or accidently glancing in a mirror at yourself and thinking, “who the hell is that? Oh, yeah….It’s me.”

            “Just go.” Chance said softly, smiling, and giving me the bravery I needed. “Go find her.”

            “Aren’t you going to help me?”

            “Nah, I saw a cute guy standing in line, and I’ve been feeling lonely.” He winked. “You can handle this on your own, I know it.”

            “Thanks… I guess.” And with those last words, Chance was off and I was alone.   

            For a second, as I stood there thinking about where to go, it felt as though I was in a boat floating in the ocean. I was alone, and everyone seemed to be paired up with other people. I was just… alone.  People’s eyes stuck to my face as they walked by, sometimes whispering about me, sometimes completely silent.

            And then, out of nowhere, I heard a voice, softly at first, and then louder the second time.

            “Riddick!” No, it was not Chance. “Hey Riddick!” Or Amanda. “Hey!” And not even Sarah.

             I turned to my left –saw no one- and then to my right, where I saw him jogging towards me. At first, I didn’t know what to say. Then, after deciding he didn’t look as if he wanted to slaughter me, I said. “Oh, hi, Jake.”