10

John hung back for a moment, still slightly dazed by what had just happened. For some reason the two men seemed quite familiar, although he was certain they had never met before. They also appeared to not have quite placed Beatle John, which made a change. He decided the longer he could keep it that way the better, and stepped after the brothers as they lined up three glasses of whisky.  

“Ta,” John said as he picked up his glass. He swallowed it in one, pulling his face slightly at the burning sensation as it slipped down his throat. “That’s what I needed,” he said, setting the glass down again, trying to shake off the bitter aftertaste.  

The shorter man nodded. “You looked like it. How long have you been out there?”  

“About half an hour.”  

“Shite,” he replied sympathetically. “What a night to break down on, eh? Noel, by the way. This is…”  

“I am the Walrus,” the taller one said seriously.  

“…Liam. Our kid, unfortunately.”  

“John,” John replied carefully, but they didn’t react. “You were born at Christmas then? Noel?”  

“May actually,” Noel said quickly. “You’re a bit out of the way for Liverpool, aren’t you?”  

“Yeah, well, before we broke down we also got lost,” John smiled, the whole event seemed quite amusing now he was standing in the warm. “I’m not really even sure where I am.”  

“Burnage,” Noel said, and John nodded although he was none the wiser. “I’m uh, sorry about, all that, before,” Noel continued sheepishly.  

John nodded again, “S’alright.”  

“It’s this prick,” Noel said. “He’s always being a twat, tryna wind me up.”  

“Don’t really have to try,” Liam said, sipping his whisky and sticking his tongue out at the sourness.  

“You’re not havin’ any more of that. Y’know what it does to yer,” Noel said to him, nodding towards the glass.  

“Oh right, sorry Mam,” Liam replied sarcastically.  

Noel glowered. John smiled, “Yeah, I know how it is,” he said. “My, uh, mates are the same. A right pain in the arse sometimes. I left them at the car.” He grinned and Liam laughed although inside John started to feel guilty at abandoning them to the weather.  

“Maybe I could help you with that?” Noel offered. “I know a bit about cars.”  

“Or just knock it on the head and come The Hac with us?” Liam said.  

“The Hac?” John asked.  

“The Hacienda, y’know.”

John looked blank.

“Y’musta heard of it? The Mondays?”  

“Uh, no,” John said unsure.  

“Not into your music, eh?”  

“I er…” John stopped himself from telling him it was exactly the opposite. “This and that, y’know,” he said instead, then quickly added, “I can’t anyway. I’ve gotta get home to my wife.”  

“Ah, that’s a tragedy,” Liam said with a hint of an Irish accent. “Young fella like you.”  

“Shut up, Liam,” Noel said. “Where are you parked, mate?” he asked John.  

“Just down the road a bit, not that far, but it feels it in the snow.”  

“Hmm,” Noel looked at the snow still falling outside the window, building up on the ledge, “Perhaps we could have another drink til it lets up a bit?” he suggested.