8

“Noel!” Liam shouted across the room. “You can’t go out in this weather! Come and have a pint, mate.”

Noel ignored him, struggling with the zip on his coat as he stood half way between Liam and the door.

“Come on, yer sulky sod,” Liam continued. “You’re only pissed off cos yer jealous.”  

“Jealous?” Noel shouted, shooting a look at Liam.  

Liam smiled thinly and raised an eyebrow at him.  

“Of what?” Noel demanded.  

Liam leant back on the bar, and swept his hand in a flourish to the room.  

Noel snorted and turned to leave again.  

“Noel! Me and Bonehead are gonna go down, try an’ get in the Hac. Fancy it?”  

Noel reached the door, mumbling under his breath.  

“Ah, bugger off then, yer self righteous prick,” Liam said, more like his surly self.  

Noel pause to look back at him but stopped himself. He turned his back to Liam.  

“You’ll be sorry. You just remember, mate. Lennon said.”  

Noel pulled the door open, “Fuck off!” he finally exploded back at Liam, without turning around.  

A man, bundled in a navy blue thick overcoat stood in front of Noel, looking surprised. The two stood staring at each other for a moment. The other man was taller than Noel, bigger too. He looked cold and annoyed and for a moment Noel thought he might hit him, or at least headbutt him in the Mancunian tradition, but instead he remained in the doorway, looking strangely at Noel.  

“Uh, sorry, not you,” Noel said finally, “My er, brother.” He pointed over his shoulder at Liam who was doubled over with laughter.  

“Fuckin’ spark him out!” Liam shouted to the man. Noel shot him a look.  

“It’s uh, okay,” the man said.  

“Ah, it's alright Noel,” Liam said, coming up behind him. “It's only some Scouse tosser, you can tell him t’fuck off again.”  

“Will you pack it in?” Noel said to Liam, through gritted teeth.  

“I bloody will then if you haven’t the balls. Fuck off back to Scouse land, yer twat! Haven’t you got a car t’put on bricks or somat?!”  

“Liam!” Noel said, suddenly very aware he was standing in between Liam and the man he was insulting.  

Instead the man’s face cracked into a wide smile and he laughed. “That’s just it,” he said, “I was tryin’ t’fuck off back to Scouse land but the car’s broken down. I was wondering if you had any bricks I could put it on?”  

Liam paused a moment. Noel looked at him, getting ready to move out of the way. However, Liam just smiled back and stepped aside. “Well don’t just stand there,” he said, “Noel, I think you owe the gent a pint after you just spat all over him.”  

Noel frowned. Liam’s mood swings were often as violent and unpredictable as the weather. He turned back to the man, “You look frozen, mate,” he said, standing back so he could come into the room. “You want a whisky or somat?”  

“That would be fantastic,” the man said stepping inside, “Oh, ah, but I appear to be a bit… light,” he added, tapping his pockets apologetically.  

“What a surprise, a Scouser without any money,” Liam said, but smiled to show he was joking.  

Noel nudged him away. “S’alright, I’ll get it,” he said and moved towards the bar.  

“Bloody hell, it’s a Christmas miracle! Noel’s buying!” Liam said and followed him.