3

“Y’wha’?” Liam demanded defensively.  

Noel sat back, picking up his glass. “You asked.”  

“Well, that just shows what you bloody know then,” Liam said, sounding upset, “You wouldn’t know decent music if it smacked you in the face.”  

“Whatcha ask me for then?” Noel said sulkily. “There are better things I could be doing, y’know. Why didn’t you ask Paul?”  

Liam rolled his eyes at the mention of their eldest brother. “Because he’s a twat and you know about stuff like this,” he said, “What you learnt off The Carpets and that.”  

“I thought you just said I didn’t know ewt?”  

“What d’yer reckon of Guigsy?” Liam said, changing tact.  

“Who?”  

“Lead guitar.”  

Noel pulled his face.  

“Yeah,” Liam agreed.

“And what he just did to the riff in Rain he deserves slapping for,” Noel added, Liam grinned. “Lennon’ll be turning in his grave, or at least trying to cover his ears!”  

Liam put his hands over his ears absently. “So what d’yer reckon then?” he said.  

Noel frowned. “I just said, fuckin’ shite…”  

“Nah,” Liam shook his head. “We’re kickin’ him out, so we need a new guitar player.”  

Noel paused. “The Carpets aren’t gonna…” he started.  

“Not them, you,” Liam said, matter of fact.  

“Me?” Noel said, genuinely surprised.  

“Yeah, you’re better than him, anyway.”  

High praise indeed coming from his little brother, but Noel wrinkled his nose. “No chance, mate. I am not playing with you bunch of tossers.”  

Liam narrowed his eyes.