Chapter Four- The Moment I've Always Been Waiting For

Chapter Four- The Moment I’ve Always Been Waiting For

            If I was a natural Nancy Drew, everything would have been much easier. But I wasn’t, unluckily. So I was completely lost. What happened back in France was not just a merely accident. Everything was going perfectly. But then something grabbed me from behind.

            When I looked back, all I saw was this shadow. Sort of.

            Earlier, that dark shadow was there again. And I could swear something remotely close to it grabbed my ankle.

            Other than the obvious (they were both shadows, they were both grabbers), I didn’t know how else to connect them. Well, other than the fact that they seem to happen when my toes are in serious need of medical treatment, but I doubted that that was a really big connection there.

            So even after three hours of trying to think about it in between studying, I still came up with exactly nothing. I’d been in my room all morning, studying and thinking about that shadow. At least I already did some of the assignments I missed as I sipped some of the coffee I bought.

            By lunch, my stomach was grumbling and my mind was completely drained, more because of those shadows instead of the stupid trigonometric functions I had to deal with. I slipped out of my bedroom to find my best friend and ask her to eat with me.

            Apparently, though, it seemed as if my best friend was nowhere to be found, and Kyle Hughes was everywhere. You could only expect his reaction to be, “Oh.” And he looked like he ate fifty lemons all at once.

            “Nice to see you too,” I muttered under my breath. To make it much more awkward, we were headed in the same direction.

            “How do you do this stuff?” he asked me. “What, do you have a tracking device on me too?”

            My mouth dropped open. I always thought that there was a limit to how narcissistic one could get. Maybe I should reconsider. And much to my disappointment, it turned out that my crush was just one, bigheaded idiot. “Sure. Check your underwear,” I replied, trying not to roll my eyes.

            “Funny.”

            “Thank you,” I replied, just as sarcastic as he did.

            Yesterday, my stomach would have been in knots just by looking at him, so it was amazing how one thing could change overnight. Like this time. How did I get to replying sarcastically to my crush? Because really, in two years, all I wanted was for him to look at me. Now I graduated to having acrimonious conversations with him.

            Much to my delight, I spotted Angela a few yards away from us. I didn’t even say goodbye to me newest frenemy, who happened to be my godchild, as I walked towards Anj. But the thing was, I underestimated my best friend’s intuitive views and wide-eyed curiosity, because the next second, she was all over me.

            “Okay, you have to explain every little detail!” Angela pretty much yelled in my ear. I wouldn’t even be surprised if by the time I end high school, I was this deaf teenager.

            “What?” I asked, feigning innocence.

            “Why were you walking with Kyle Hughes? And you were talking. How did that happen?” I tried not to comment on the disbelieving note in her voice. She talked as if it was entirely impossible for that to happen, and I reminded myself that if it wasn’t for me being a fairy godmother trainee, it really would have been impossible.