Chapter Ten - How to Lie for Dummies

Hey hey! This is a very, very late update. Guys, please bear with me. College is... well, college. And I'd developed this weird obsession with Aikido. I swear, everyone should learn Aikido. Ooookay, that was random. XD Oh well. Enjoy! :)

-Kierra xx

P.S. I typed all of this on my phone because I miss writing. Love you guys! :D

Chapter Ten - How to Lie for Dummies

"I can't believe you just did that. You. My fairy godmother. To me. I thought fairy godmothers are supposed to make my life easier, not miserable," Kyle grumbled as he glared darkly at me.

The poor guy. It made me laugh.

Kyle is almost always in a sulky mood.That's, like, one of the things that make him who he is. Today, though, he was worse than usual. And that, my friends, is all because of me.

He spent half the day with his clothes all prim and proper. All his shirt buttons done, his tie tightly knotted and let's not forget his hair. His usual (deliberately) messy hair was parted neatly in the middle, seemingly brushed to perfection. It was too hilarious.

Even better, he didn't even notice until last period.

If only he hadn't pissed me off, I would never have done that to an assignment.

"Don't exaggerate. Your life is definitely not miserable enough," I told him. "For a jerk like you, you totally deserve to be miserable."

"Are you my fairy godmother or what? I don't think that's the right way to treat me."

"Yeah, sure, whatever." I shrugged and rolled my eyes at him.

Well, I never thought I'd ever get to talk to Kyle Hughes this way. I never even thought I'd get to talk to Kyle Hughes. Period.

Now, here I was, casually rolling my eyes at him. We were sitting on a bench at one of the gardens in Mackenzie. We decided to come here before they serve dinner. This garden was farthest from the main buildings, so only a few students come here. You know, unless they have stuff to talk about.

And by stuff, I meant... "So, Kyle, do you have any questions regarding the, I dunno, fairy business?"

He looked at me. "Well, do I get to wish anything? Like, anything I want?"

"No," I said. "That kind of service is offered to kids only. Ages ten and below."

"What? That's totally unfair."

"No, it's not. It's just that kids have this tendency to wish for simple things to make themselves happy," I said. "Adults, however, wish for complicated things that never actually bring them closer to the happiness they're looking for."

"That's definitely unfair," he repeated.

I chose to ignore him. "What kind of happiness are you looking for?" I asked him, genuinely curious.

The unexpected happened. I watched as his expression softened into something solemn, his eyes distant.

Oh, wow. I guess he does have some sort of problem.

"Is it a girl?" I finally asked him when it was clear he wasn't going to tell me until I practically dug it out of him.

He scoffed, chuckling bitterly. "Oh, it's a girl, all right." 

I didn't know how to react. Something was... off. I could tell it wasn't one of the usual problems I've encountered. And, I also knew that I wouldn't get it out of him easily.