Chapter 6

Sentenced To Eternity

Chapter 6

Alise's Point of View

The whole court room started talking.  They all seemed mad at the judge.

“Order!” he yelled, his booming voice echoing off the walls.  The room became dead silent.  “Okay, I know, today we are doing things a little bit...different…but we have a special situation here.  This has only happened twice before as you know, but we must forget about the scripture and do things the “appropriate way.” the judge spoke, his voice strict and low.

“So, are you really a...?” the messenger asked Sophie, her eyes wide.  Sophie gulped.

“Yes, an Etherial.” she said.  Her face was full of fear, and concern.

The court room gasped, all at once.

“An Etherial!  Can you believe it?  The first in…in…has there ever been one?” Everybody's tight whisperers became louder, until the judge banged his mallet.

“Yes, I know, it’s been a long time sense we've seen an Etherial.”

“Sir, a long time?  This is the first Etherial ever!” a woman said sadly. 

The judge nodded. “It has not happened in a long time, but, it has happened!” he said itching his chin.

Sophie let off a faint smile.  But it disappeared as the Judge frowned.  Her face turned red.

What's and Etherial? The question burned inside of me.  I couldn't stand it anymore.

“Sir, may I ask what an Etherial is?” I said quietly.

The judge leaned forward, and raised an eyebrow. 

“An Etherial is half angel, half human.  An Etherial is neither in Heaven, nor in Hell.  It can visit the world as often as it likes, but never be caught.  But, an Etherial has to watch its own death and live forever.  Watching its loved ones die later on.  No one on earth can hear it or see it.  We just let them be, wandering hopelessly.  There is nothing we can do for them.” The judge said sadly glancing upon Sophie.

“So, how is she here now? And how did she become an Etherial?” I asked.

The judge sighed. Clearly annoyed at my questions.

“Remember when you were in white, coming to us, just white, all around you?” he asked.  I nodded.

“Well, when you’re in that stage everything on Earth flows the way it should.  The doctors make the same mistakes, the same discoveries.  But you don't die, unless we intend you to.  Well, something interfered with Sophie, for all we know it might be another Etherial, or it might just be something else.  But whatever it was, Sophie died.  Right then and there.  There was nothing we could do.  She died right there, right in the middle of Heaven and Hell.  She hadn't even gone to court yet.  She died right in the place you feared most.” He said gravely. 

I starred at her sympathetically suddenly feeling thankful.  Thankful that I at least had a chance.

“Sophie, I never got to meet you, how long have you been an Etherial?”

“Sixty years…I think.” she said sadly.

“Sixty years?” I said to loudly.  Then covered my mouth.  “Sorry!”

Sophie looked very embarrassed and was already starting to cry.  She was about 13 maybe 14.

“Why is this such a shock to you?” The Judge asked.

“Sorry, it’s just I had no idea.  I'm really sorry; you were talking like it was yesterday or something.” I said surprised.

“It was. . .” The judge said sadly. 

“I'm sorry Sophie, but Sir, if this happened years ago why is she here?”

“Because, Sophie was there, the day of the shooting.  She's a witness.” The whole court room turned to stare at me as my jaw dropped.

~Alli

~Proofed by Kc