(1) The Transfer Student

"... a transfer student." Mum stopped talking and looked at me expectantly. "Well, what do you think?" 

I snapped out of my daydream. "Sorry, what?"  

My mother sighed impatiently. "I said that there's going to be a transfer student at your school." 

"And?" I say, wondering where my mother was going with this.

"And that he's going to be staying with us." She says, looking excited.

I was definitely listening now. "What?!" 

"He needs somewhere to stay. We thought it would be a good idea." 

I couldn't believe I was hearing this. "Mum, we don't have enough room for another person!" This was true.

Mum was defensive. "So we'll make room. And, well, the boy's parents a quite, um, rich. They'll pay us to take him in. Quite a large amount of money, actually." 

Well, at least I know she's only doing it for the money. I was starting to think there was something wrong with her, doing something out of the kindness of her heart.  

But wait a minute... "A Guy?"  Now this was starting to sound like one of those stupid cliche stories.

"Yes, a boy. I spoke with him on the phone. Quite charming, actually, from America. Anyway, he's a couple of years older than you. But seeing as he's staying with us, your school thought it'd be a good idea for him to have all his lessons with you, because he'll know you, and he may feel a bit more comfortable." 

"Right. And how long have you been planning this?" I say, annoyed, but trying my best not to snap at her.

"Um, about a month?" She replies sheepishly.

A month?! "And why didn't you tell me?" 

"Well, we thought you'd be a bit.... adverse to the idea, honey. Anyway, I must dash; I don't want to miss my yoga lesson!"

As she fled out of the room, I lent back in my chair and sighed. A guy. In my house. Great, just what I need.  

Its not like I don't like guys, it's just... I don't trust them. From my experience- or lack of, actually, boys just want to get into your pants. And i'm not going to be used, not by anyone.  My mother has been getting a bit worried, what with me not having a boyfriend. She probably hopes that we'll hook up or something. Ugh, just the thought of it makes me sick.  

Okay, maybe I'm not being fair, considering I don't even know the guy. But mother said he was charming, and charming men are the worst type.  

The phone rang. It was my mother again.   

"Hello, darling, I forgot, but Will is coming round today, while I'm out." 

"Mother, who's Will?" 

"The transfer student. Anyway, could you show him to his room, the spare room?" 

"Mother, why is he moving in today?! You only told me around five minutes ago!" I cry.

"As I told you earlier," my mother says curtly, " I knew that you would be against the idea, and knowing you, you'd find a way to stop him coming, so I thought telling you at the last minute would be best."

I'm resisting the urge to swear now. "What time is he coming round?" I ask, gritting my teeth.

"Will is expected at around 6, and I won't be home until after 10, is that okay?" This last part was a rhetorical question. " Oh, and try to be civil to him, will you? Bye, darling!"

And without waiting for a reply, she hung up. I looked at the clock. It was 5:45.  

I jumped up, and ran upstairs. I was wearing a dressing gown, having just had a bath. I changed at top speed, and tugged a brush through my caramel coloured hair.  It wasn't that I was trying to look nice for this mysterious new comer, just that I didn't want to look like i'd been dragged through a hedge backwards.

Just then, the door bell rang.  

He was early.  

I reluctantly walked down stairs, and opened the front door. 

And there, standing in front of me, was the most perfect specimen of mankind. 

********************** 

Sorry for leaving it like that!!! I'll try to do the next bit as soon as possible!