Bullying: Part 2

"No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible."

~ Voltaire

Witnesses are often the most powerful people in a bullying situation. Statistics say that when a peer witness intervenes, bullying will stop in less than ten seconds about sixty percent of the time. They have the power to prevent bullying from escalating, and to stop it when it is happening.

Let's take a look at the different kinds of witnesses.

~ Passive: they see the bullying but avoid the situation.

~ Fearful: they're afraid to help because the bully might turn on him or her.

~ Watcher: they watch and maybe enjoy it, they're happy not to be the target.

~ Accomplice: they laugh at the bully's abuse and become an appreciative audience.

~ Defender: they challenge the bully or support the victim.

Speak up and report it! If you and your friends witness bullying, say something. To stay silent is to condone the behavior. Be a leader and stand up for the target. Don't Forget: Tattling is about getting someone into trouble, but reporting is trying to get someone out of trouble.

Bullying is often a temporary situation. If you're being harassed, stand up for yourself to set the standard that bullying will not be tolerated. Do whatever it takes and find whatever help you can to get out of the situation.

Former bullies report that focusing on empathy (what the other person feels) made the biggest difference in their behavior. The next time you are tempted to lash out, try to take a minute to think about the other person's feelings. Also, think about how you might feel if the situation was reversed.