Chapter Thirty-Nine

a/n: shocked and slightly pleased that Vincenzo was welcomed into the family with open arms (you either wanted to 'bone' him, or you wanted him to adopt you. We had very different reactions).

tbh idek who the men are in these gifs, they're just hot asf. if you can find their names, addresses, phone numbers, social's, and average salary per year, that'd be great. thanks babes.

P.S. THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR THE 8K FOLLOWERS!! I've always had my goal on 10K and I'll probably pass out if that ever happens.

THIS THANK YOU GOES OUT TO EVERYONE THAT HAS TAKEN THE TIME TO VOTE "LUCIANO" FOR THE FICTION AWARDS THIS YEAR! I APPRECIATE IT SO MUCH! IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO VOTE FOR ANY OF YOUR FAVORITE STORIES, VISIT MY WALL AND CLICK THE LINK I PROVIDED.

- - -

"Sometimes you have to sacrifice your queen in order to win the game." - Lucious Lyon

- - - -

"Go, but I can't promise I'll come back for you."

His words stung. They stung more than he would ever realize. They brought a sickening feeling over my stomach and they caused my eyes to glaze over with unfallen tears. But he wouldn't see me cry and it's possible he would never see the effect that those ten words had on me in that moment in time. But as clogged up as my throat felt, I would be damned if I let him have the last word of this argument.

I stormed out the room after him, taking the corner sharply. He hadn't gotten far; just a few steps out the doorway and to his left, heading towards his suite. I didn't have to call his name for him to know I was right behind him. He stopped his long strides, knowing good and well I had followed him out the door. Liam whirls around and opens his mouth, ready to tell me exactly what I knew he wanted to say.

Faith, he was going to say, I don't want to keep talking about this.

I cleared the distance between us in seconds, but Liam didn't actually looked shocked until my arms extended themselves, pressed against his firm chest, and shoved him backwards. He stumbled, not because of force, but because of surprise. Luciano staggered backwards about three steps and on the third, he caught his balance and planted his opposite foot.

His eyes widened, but the most he did was interlock his fingers together and rest his hands on his head, as if that were going to keep him from doing something he would regret later. He laughed, his crisp, white teeth shining through a deep chuckle that wasn't filled with hilarity. The laugh didn't lighten the dark, angry look in his eyes. And if it were possible, it appeared to make him angrier. His biceps bulged as he squeezed his hands together and bowed his head, shaking it all the while.

"I'm doing this for you!" My fists clenched as the tears pierced the corner of my eyes. My throat felt like it was beginning to close up; breathing suddenly became a working effort. I had to tell myself repeatedly to make sure I breathed through my nose.

For being afraid of an angry Luciano, I didn't show it. I closed the gap that had been caused when he stumbled and pointed an accusing finger at his chest. "Does it look like I want to risk my life? Do I look like I want to die?" My questions were rhetorical. "No! But I'm doing this for you because no matter how you look at it, this is the only way!" I paused, hoping Liam had something to say, but he didn't. I lowered my voice to a gentle whisper. Yet, no matter how much I tried, I couldn't keep the tear from rolling my face. "Why can't you see that?" My head shook, "What is blinding you that you can't see that."

I watched him for any answer I could discern. His interlocked hands fell to the base of his neck, his muscles flexing just for a second at the switching of positions. Liam's facial expressions however, stayed the same; pursed lips and eyebrows that looked like they were about to have a head-on collision with his nose. He didn't have to say anything verbally to know that he indeed had an answer. Although his lips refused to speak, his eyes didn't. The only problem being, I couldn't read minds. The answer that I was looking for floated between his brown irises, inaccessible to everyone but him.