That Match

I could tell by the way Harry, Ron, and Hermione were whispering to each other that they had found out about the stone as well. I held my frustration in, however. I knew my brother, and I knew Hermione, they would not give up if I asked them to.

I could also tell by the way Bonnie was acting that they had let her in on the secret, too. She wasn't acting distant with me, like Hermione had, but her eyes were always hooded with the secrets she held.

I grabbed my bag and ran down to breakfast, sitting at the end of the the table, as far away from anyone as I could be. Harry, Ron, Hermione and Bonnie gave me curious glances but didn't say anything or try to come over. This was a good thing, since I needed to eat quickly without any distractions so I could go talk to Hagrid.

But before I could leave the Great Hall, Hermione and Bonnie stopped me, getting in my way and staring down at me disapprovingly.

“Nixie, what's with you today?” Bonnie demanded.

“Yeah, your acting so strange,” Hermione agreed.

“No, I'm not,” I denied.

“You didn't sit with us,” Hermione pointed out.

“I was too lazy to walk all the way over to where you were sitting,” I lied. I wasn't tired at the moment; in fact, I was full of adrenaline.

“You never eat your food that fast,” Hermione said.

“I was hungry,” I lied again.

“You look like you want to run away from us this very second,” Bonnie butted in.

I forced myself to stop bouncing on the balls of my feet and relaxed my shoulders. Taking a deep breath, I lied once more, “The exams are almost here, you two! I need to study.”

“But, Nixie,” Bonnie whined, eyes wide. “They've told me about everything – about Flamel!”

Hermione smiled eagerly at this. “Oh, you'd never believe where all the information on Flamel was-”

“I think I could,” I said. “His name is in Hogwarts: A History. I know about the stone and what it does, Hermione.”

“Oh,” Hermione said with a little disappointment. “Well, come on. We have to go to Potions class.”

I sighed. There goes my trip to Hagrid's. They led me to Snape's classroom, where Hermione and Bonnie sat in the back while I sat in the front. This has been happening for a while; ever since Hermione got convinced that Snape was trying to kill Harry and I, she's been sitting as far away from his as possible. But it wasn't Snape; it was Quirrell.

Hermione tried again to get me to sit with them; but I needed to learn as much as I could before I tried to stop Voldemort from getting the stone.