Bad Morning

I peeled my eyes open, my mind fogged. At first, I was in a bliss of ignorance, snuggling into my warm, soft bed without a care in the world. My eyelids fluttered closed again, ready to let me drift back into unconsciousness, but in the next moment, what happened came rushing back.

Detention – Malfoy – green hair.

My hands flew to my head, gripping my thick hair in my fists. I could see the color now, falling over my eyes and spread out on my pillow. It was bright, it was emerald, and it was so Slytherin.

I refrained myself from screaming, not wanting to wake the others up who were, mercifully, still sleeping. I crawled out of my bed and tiptoed to the bathroom connected to our dormitory. Closing the door carefully behind me, I peeked reluctantly into the mirror.

The roots of my hair were where the darkest green resided, going from dark grass green to neon. It isn't that bad. I could get used to it, maybe. The second that thought flitted across my mind, I shook my head, the green strands fluttering around. What am I thinking? This is dreadful!

I ran my hand over my face. Malfoy had said something about it being similar to the potion I put on the Slytherins, meaning that it would fade... eventually. The thought wasn't very reassuring; I didn't want anyone to see me like this. I shuddered at the Gryffindors' reactions.

Silently praying that it would go away before the big game, I hurried to take a shower and get dressed.

With dread, I crept out of the bathroom and hurried out of the tower. I couldn't go to the Great Hall, that would mean certain death by embarrassment. Instead, I settled with a girl's bathroom – the same bathroom I took shelter in the last time I cried.

The room was empty and silent. The sound of my footsteps bounced off the walls, and my breath was loud in my ears. Safe from any eyes, I let myself cry.

I sat there for hours, hiding from the inevitable. My hair didn't show any signs of going back to normal, and my cowardice was only another thing that would bring Malfoy glee. Thinking of the ferret, my hands clenched into fists. He's going to pay one day, I thought savagely, rubbing at my tears.

I was going to keep my head held high, I was not going to show any discomfort. With a new found determination, I got to my feet and raised my shoulders. Looking in the dirty mirror above the sink, I couldn't help but think how powerful I looked. It was the only sign that showed the true strength that flowed through my veins.

There was a loud, girly gasp, and for a moment I thought that Lavender Brown had walked in, but no one else was in the bathroom. Shaking my head, I marched toward the door.

"You know, I think green hair goes with you," a shrill voice giggled, obviously mocking me.

I jumped at the sudden noise, and peeked behind me. Still, no one was there, and for a moment I wondered if Malfoy had put an insanity curse on me, as well.

"Over here, you dunderhead!" the annoying voice shrieked.