Picking Up The Pieces

Two chapters left on this story. Advancing on from the authors note, thanks to all who have read this and liked it. I appreciate all of the support very much. Please leave comments and as promised here is the next chapter.

Ash's POV

I woke up and rose my head off my stony bed. I rubbed the side of my head because I must have slid and fell to my side during my slumber. It hurt slightly but nothing serious. When I fully got my bearings, I looked around still wrapped in my blue winter coat. I noticed the entrance was filled with snow but could still be exited from. Little flakes of built up snow descended from the pile leaving a small puddle near the entrance. Each flake glistened as it fell in the new days sunlight. I smiled lightly at the sunlight since it was a huge change from the ice storm of the night before. I took another look around to the opposite of the now lifeless fireplace. The only warmth it provided was now merely a memory. On the opposite side my auburn eyes were met with my two Pokemon companions still sound asleep. I noticed my revenge prank has still gone unnoticed. As I looked at Greninja I chuckled, but once I set eyes on Braixen sleeping peacefully on his shoulder I frowned. It made me remember why we are out here. Serena is still missing. I looked down to her crutch. 'I hope nothing bad happens to her as well '.

I shook off the thought and got up from my stony bunk. I made my way to the entrance to get a better view of the morning sky. I looked up and was bathed in the benevolent rays of the sun. I felt invigorated and determined. Determined to find them. My hand found its way to the coat pocket where the ribbon was safely kept. I took a deep, savoury breath, turned and continued back inside the cave. Braixen was stirring beneath Greninja. I moved further in the cave and watched with interest. As Braixen's fiery eyes flared open she gave a cute yawn and looked around. She saw me and I gave a wave with a suggestive grin. Braixen gave a slightly confused smile in return. When she figured out what I was referring to she went red and glared at me as if she immediately knew this was my doing. That glare made me hesitate for a second as if she was saying 'Your just asking for a flamethrower.' I chuckled lightly once again when she looked away still in a blush. She tried to shuffle away from Greninja but this caused him to awaken as well.

Greninja's eyes widened once he was fully awake and he immediately retracted his arm. All the while he seemed to be apologising to Braixen with a rosy blush mirroring hers. It gave me a familiar sense of déjà vu. He looked at me and Braixen changing his gaze between us several times. "It seems like you had a really nice sleep." I beamed with a laugh. When my attention was fully back on the two surprised Pokemon, well, they were no longer surprised. I began to sweat drop because of the shared glare they both gave me. Suddenly, I was not so amused and I felt like once all of this was over, a nasty surprise might be in store for me. I laughed nervously and put on a serious face. "Are you guys ready to find Serena and Pikachu?" Their faces changed to a determined, serious expression as well. "Braixen!" "Ninja!" Once we were all fully ready to go, we stepped outside. Both Pokemon were happy with the positive change in weather. The snow was somewhat deeper away from the cave. We had to be careful on the slope. With all of the snow, we had no idea where to begin our search.

We descended the small slope created by the excess of built up snow from the cave to try and make it back into the forest. I stumbled slightly but managed to keep my balance. "Be careful you two, its a lot more slippy than it looks." They both nodded and their pace slowed to my own. For added safety I noticed Braixen holding on to Greninja's right arm for support. He didn't protest of course. After a about half a minute of shuffling slowly down the slope we had successfully reached the bottom. We continued walking into the forest brush which was now much whiter than yesterday. I still was not sure how we should go about looking for Serena and Pikachu. "Hold on a sec." I said when I realised something. Yesterday there was a storm so this would have been difficult. But now the sky is clear... "Talonflame come and help us out!" I yelled with rising hope. Talonflame's pokeball flew up into the air and opened releasing bright white energy. The energy took form and the fire type bird stretched its wings as the energy subsided. "Talon!" The bird squawked with anticipation. "Talonflame, we need your help, Serena and Pikachu are missing, can you search from the sky?" I asked him sincerely. He nodded and flew off into the sky hastily. "We should keep going to guys." I exclaimed referring to Greninja and Braixen. They nodded back and we continued to walk into the forest. Serena must have taken shelter like us so I told them to keep an eye out for caves as well. 'Not long now Serena, hang in there.'