Chapter Twenty Seven (Final Chapter)

-----------------------

Dedication: Mythical_Mermaid for the cover!

Recap:

I laughed, wrapping an arm lazily around her shoulders. "You bet, mum."

If only I could pack my family up with me, too.

"You started?" I looked up at mum, to see her staring at the three pieces of paper, neatly spread across my desk.

"I've tried."

"I'm sure the words will come to you. You just need to write what you feel." With that, she slowly stood. I think she wanted to leave before we both burst into tears.

I watched her walk from my room. Slowly, I maneuvered myself to my desk. With a sigh, I picked up the cold pen.

Dear Carter...

--------------------------

In the midst of all my excitement, I almost forgot how sad leaving was going to be. Let's just say, it had been one emotional morning for my family. My father's hug almost broke my ribs and mum hadn't stopped crying for the last two hours. Both of us had been a sobbing mess, so dad had to drive.

Anna was sprawled out on the back seat, completely nonchalant. It looked as if she was just on the way to school, not on her way to leave the country for a year. Although I actually don't know much of the details, I know that her and her mum don't have the best relationship. Regardless, I thought there would at least be some reaction out of her. I frowned at her, hoping she was alright. Wouldn't want her to be having second thoughts now, of all times. 

For some reason, I had wanted to leave Carter's letter to last. I guess it was because it was the most important. Which meant we had to do a loop, but I don't think my parents really cared.

I glanced at Anna, hoping for a supportive smile but she just gazed emotionlessly out the window. I looked at mum who gave me an encouraging smile. That was all I needed. With wobbly legs, I slid out of the car. My hands were trembling as I placed the sealed envelope into Carter's mail box.

Panicking for a second that he might look out his window and see me, I made a dash back to the car. My heart was racing. This was it. I wasn't going to see him for at least a year. That was a long time. Dad pulled smoothly out from the driveway and I stared back at his mansion, biting my lip.

I suddenly wondered if writing a letter was a good idea after all.

Most of the trip was silent to the airport. I think we were all a bit nervous. I was playing with a loose thread in my shorts, to the point I ripped some of the material. With a sigh, I pressed my forehead against the cool glass. 

I'd only been outside Australia once. I went to New Zealand with Carter's family. We went snow skiing. It had been pretty awesome, but that was years ago now. I felt very new to this. Anna would be there, but it still felt weird not to be travelling with someone more adult-like. I suddenly felt very amateur, like I wasn't ready for this kind of adventure. All the confidence and excitement I had felt for the past three months, suddenly warped into a sick feeling of nausea. 

The car came to a stop and I snapped my head up, having been so deep in my thoughts, I hadn't realised we'd actually reached the airport. This only made me feeling one hundred times worse. 

Dad hauled our suitcases out of the car and they landed with a heavy thud on the pavement. 

"Alright, see ya," dad said with a wave, hopping back in the car. My eyes boggled from my head. He began laughing, re-emerging from the car. "Joking, Lace."