Chapter Twenty Three

———————————————

Thank you to Vanessaantonio36for saying that Little Do You Know by Alex and Sierra reminds her of Childhood Sweethearts!

The photo is of the dresses Lacey and Anna are wearing! They're not exactly what I had pictured in my mind but they're the closest I could find haha. Also that's not the right blue for Lacey's dress but anyway, better than nothing!

Dedication: AllYouAmazinglyPatientPeople

Recap:

After purchasing my now favourite item of clothing, I looped arms with Anna.

"Thank you for putting up with me."

"What are best friends for?" She asked with a playful smile. "Besides, it was worth the time finding the perfect dress. We're going to look killer."

"Hell yeah we are." I grinned.

It was funny how one dress had abruptly changed my mood. I now felt relieved, satisfied and excited. The dance was going to be awesome, I was going to make sure of it. I was going to drink enough to be buzzed and enjoy my night. With Anna by my side, I was going to most certainly have fun.

Nerves bubbled under the surface of my happiness, as Carter and I didn't leave things on good terms. We had been texting and agreed to give each other space until the dance. Afterwards, we would have a 'talk'.

I'm not looking forward to that. 

"Shall we have pre-champagne toasts at your place before the dance?" Anna asked, a shine to her eyes that I hadn't seen before.

"Definitely."

Thursday couldn't come quicker.

—————————————-

Twice in my life, I have seen my father cry. The first time was when I was admitted to the hospital after cutting. The second time was today.

He stared at me with such admiration that even I was choking up. He beamed at me, his eyes watering.

"I am so proud of you, Lacey." He said to me, his voice breaking slightly. Tugging me forward, he roughly pressed his lips to my forehead.

"Thanks dad," I laughed, lightly pushing him. "Don't go getting too soft on me now. I'm not even in my dress yet!"

"I know," he laughed, wiping at his eyes. "It's just a proud moment in my life. To see you grow up into an amazing young woman. Just as amazing as your mother."

Rolling my lips into my mouth, I blinked away the desire to cry. Mum had just spent an hour perfecting my make-up, I wasn't going to go ahead and ruin it now.

As Anna was getting her make up professionally done, she wasn't here yet. I have been demanded to not get in my dress under any circumstances. We were meant to be doing that together, apparently. We still had two hours until we had to be there, so we were running well with time.

The nerves had begun to bubble in my stomach. I was ready to pour myself a drink soon to calm myself.

I hastily walked to the bathroom and leaned against the sink. The nerves that were ferociously bubbling in my stomach made me feel nauseous. I gently pressed my hand to my stomach, as though that would ease my worry. Dragging my eyes up, I gazed at my reflection.