Epilogue

SCOTT POV

Mitch and I sit side by side, hand in hand, in the hospital waiting room. He tightens and releases his hand in mine repeatedly.

"Don't worry, Mitchy, this one will go through. Don't worry." I am also trying to convince myself. We are waiting for our friend Kate to have her baby. Her baby, that we are adopting. Last time we were going to adopt a baby, the baby of a different friend, she took one look at her child and couldn't go through with the adoption. Mitch had been crushed, and it took him nearly two months to start even leaving the house again. I could barely get him to eat, and he always looked so broken. I turn his head toward me and kiss him, earning us some glares from across the room. "It will work out." He nods and sets his head on my shoulder. A nurse comes over to us and says, "Please, come with me." Mitch shoots me a scared, worried glance and stands up, his grip on my hand tightening considerably. The nurse is talking, but all I can focus on is my husband, who looks terrified and clings to my arm as we walk. My attention is caught when the nurse says, "As you may know, the baby was born prematurely. Ms. Kate's due date was originally in a month and a half. That being said, the baby is quite small, but Dr. Kaplan and several others have been doing everything they can to make sure that the baby is completely healthy, and they have found no birth defects or anything like that. So, congratulations, meet your son." She pushes the door open, giving me an encouraging smile as Mitch walks through eagerly. I walk in a few steps behind Mitch and the first thing I see is him taking the tiny baby from Kate. His dark brown eyes are glistening with tears, and a smile that I have never seen covers his face. He takes his gaze away from the baby for less than a second to look at me and I walk over to him. My heart melts as the little boy's mouth opens and closes with each loud cry. The name that we agreed on if the baby was a boy surfaces and I say, "Does he look like a Ryan to you?" I am surprised at how soft and quiet my voice comes out. Mitch shakes his head and stares thoughtfully at the baby in his arms before looking up at me, face lit up.

"Aaron."

"Aaron." I repeat, trying the name on for size. When I say it, the small boy squirms a little and shoots his hand out. I put my finger in his tiny ones and he grabs on tightly. I use my other hand to brush tears off of Mitch's cheek.

"Aaron...what? What's his middle name?" I think for a few seconds before a let a smile cover my face. My eyes never leave Aaron.

"Mitchell. His middle name should be Mitchell." I was as Mitch begins to smile, a grin that spreads from ear to ear.

"Aaron Mitchell Grassi-Hoying."