Chapter 11

Scott finally gets enough energy to go back up to the apartment. I try to keep up with his pace, but the settling exhaustion is enough to make me keep falling behind. When we get into the living room, I collapse onto the couch and my eyes fall closed.

"You didn't sleep at all, did you?"

"Not one wink." I pull my knees up to my chest and feel the couch dip under his weight when he sits next to me. I instinctively lean into him and I am asleep quickly.

****

I wake up in Scott's bed, I hear his hushed voice outside the door and try to listen.

"You're sure you can show me what I'm looking for?" A pause. "Okay, great. I'll be by later tonight. Now? Okay, okay. Yeah, I'm on my way. Thanks." The rattling of the doorknob tells me that he hung up and I open my eyes.

"Where are you going?" I ask, making him jump when he walks in.

"Oh, I can't tell you."

"Why not?"

"I can't tell you that either. But I have to go now. I'll be back later." He rushes out just as quickly as he came in and leaves me wondering where he went. I look at the clock and see that I was asleep for ten hours; it is 6:00. I am still extremely exhausted and let myself fall asleep surrounded by Scott's scent on his bed. When I wake again, Scott is asleep next to me, and I finally feel refreshed and awake. It is 11:00. Despite how awake I feel, I do not want to get out of the warm bed, so I move as quietly as possible to where Scott is laying and curl up against his chest. His arms move around me and I lay this way until he wakes up at six in the morning. He greets me with a kiss on the back of my neck and a mumbled, "Morning, Mitchy." He sits up and the sudden absence of his heat makes me shiver. I start to sit up too, but he puts a hand on my shoulder and shakes his head.

"Can I please sit up?"

"Nope." I am happy to hear that his voice is back to normal.

"Why not?" He turns so that his whole body is facing me and then leans down to kiss me. "Do you trust me?"

"Of course I do." I say, pulling back to see his eyes.

"Do you trust me completely?"

"Yes."

"Enough for me to take you somewhere and not tell you where?"

"What are you talking about?"

"Just answer the question." His grin brings a smile to my face.

"Yes, I trust you enough."

"Good, because that's what we're doing today. Get dressed, we've got a long drive ahead of us." He leaps out of the bed, but I don't move. He turns back toward me, already pulling his shirt over his head.

"You didn't tell me I could sit up." He rolls his eyes fondly and says, "You can sit up." I get out of the bed and go up to my own bedroom to get dressed. I end up wearing a hoodie and my black skinny jeans with my Ryan Hemsworth and Tennyson shirt under it. After finishing getting ready to go out, I meet Scott by the front door.

"So, you're definitely not going to tell me where we're going?"

"No chance of it. Come on." He grabs my hand and leads me down the stairs and out to the parking lot. We get into the car and turn on Beyoncé as the car pulls out and Scott starts driving to our unknown destination. We get through Lemonade twice before I start to recognize my surroundings.

"Scott, I've been here before."

"Mhm." he replies offhandedly.

"Like, I remember it, from when I was a little kid." He immediately turns off the stereo.

"Did you just say you remember it, as in a memory, as in memory loss?"

"Yes, I remember it." I try to put it into context, and suddenly I start to remember things from my life. A birthday party. Abigail and I are standing around a cake. My first date with Alex. Standing up to Scott and Kirstie and denying what Alex had done. Every memory floods back so quickly that I have to close my eyes and grab Scott's arm.