(27) Broken

"The fear of death follows from the fear of life

"The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time."

- Mark Twain

Marina's anxiety was consuming her

Marina's anxiety was consuming her. If it wasn't for the pile of kraenite she was standing on, a snowstorm would be swirling around them, ice coating the black stone below her.

Despite the circumstances, she was surprisingly relieved, knowing that for this brief moment, her powers wouldn't control her. Maybe she could craft the stone into a bracelet or a ring for her finger. She would never have to worry about unleashing her powers again. She would be free.

"Why don't you all come down here so we can talk about this?" Grimm proposed, pulling her out of her thoughts.

He was a sweaty mess. His breathing was labored, but he kept a smile on his face as if he didn't just try to crush them.

"But I like looking down at you," Marina called. "You look so small and unimportant."

"Marina," Colson chided from beside her. "Don't anger him anymore than he already is."

"What is he going to do?" Marina retorted, glaring at him. "He can't touch us up here."

"I acted rashly," Grimm said, composing himself more with each word. "Killing all of you would be a waste. Please, forgive my actions. I'd like to form an alliance of sorts. Together, we can bring back glory to all Wielders. Join us."

Marina tried to bite her tongue, but it seemed to have a mind of its own, just like her power.

"You're the reason everything fell apart!" Marina yelled, pulling her arm from Colson's grasp as she charged forward. "You killed all of those innocent people years ago. You murdered a girl's mother in front of her. The Wall was built because of you."

"An ice Wielder with a spirit of fire," Grimm mused, chuckling darkly. "I could definitely use you on my team."

"Is this just one big game to you?" Marina couldn't see straight, red blurring her vision. Rubble beneath her rolled down behind her every step she took. "How can you say that you want to help the Wielders when you're the reason so many of us are dead? My friends, my parents, were murdered because of you. Don't pretend that you stand for anything good when you are the epitome of evil."