(23) Storm Coming

"They sicken of the calm who know the storm

"They sicken of the calm who know the storm."

-Dorothy Parker

It was wrong. From the ticket booth to the black dome of the Pits, it was all so sickeningly wrong. Marina's stomach twisted into knots the second the dome came into view. She witnessed the amount of people flocking towards the doors with smiles lighting their faces.

Stars, she would love to freeze their lips just like that so that even when they felt the fear Marina felt every time she went outside, they would be haunted with that smile. Ice crackled at her fingertips at her dark thought, and she quickly willed it away, hoping that Colson didn't notice the air chill around them.

Colson used the little money he had left to pay for their tickets and they were in. The moment she entered the doors, she could feel him. Ryder was there, whether below her, underground, or waiting somewhere inside the dome for the matches to start, she didn't know. But she could feel him. His calming force that she always leaned on poured through her, settling her fiery nerves.

Marina closed her eyes as she breathed in. To feel him again, to know that he was alive did something to her. If she was determined before, now she was hell bent on getting him out. She would unleash winter on the entire audience if it meant getting him back today.

"Don't even think about it," Colson whispered in her ear, gripping her hand tightly in his. "Your fingers are cold." He didn't know it, but they were cold from the frost that had coated her fingers just moments ago. Heat pulsed from his hand into hers, making the last of the frost vanish from her fingers.

They followed the sea of people, hand in hand, until they reached an opening in the wall. A wide set of stone stairs led up to what she knew was the arena seating. Her steps halted, her face clamming as she stared at the steps before her.

Colson tugged on her hand, his brows bent in worry. She had been so set on coming and seeing her twin, that she didn't even think about what it would be like to watch him fight, to watch him use his telekinesis against others instead of helping them. She shuddered, and glanced back at Colson, giving him a nod.