chapter 2

Midterms were tomorrow and after we had a three week break. Mia, Cera and I are at the library cramming for the upcoming tests. Every so often I’d find myself daydreaming about him. “Earth to Tori,” Mia whispered, “What are you thinking about this time?” Shaking my head at their knowing smiles, I just looked back at my book. After an hour we decided to call it a day. “ So how do you think you will do on the test if you keep daydreaming Tori?” asked Mia.

“There will be no daydreaming tomorrow,” was my unconvincing reply. With a wave I headed to my car. At home mom had dinner cooked and we chatted about the coming day. An hour later in my room alone the daydream came again. It always started with the sound of music then the appearance of him. Smiling as he walked toward me reaching for my hand. We would gaze in each others eyes knowing we had to be together. Of course that was only in my mind because I had no idea if he thought the same way.

After my shower, blowing dry my long brown hair his face appeared again. I’ve got to stop and realize this was all crazy. He doesn’t even know who I am and would never give the cleaning girl another thought. Determined to stop this nonsense, focusing on my life goal I looked over my notes one more time. Falling asleep sometime later he appeared in my head again. Why can’t I stop this?

Getting through the exam with no daydreaming felt great. “How do you think you did?” Cera wanted to know. “Think we will make the top three? What are we going to do now? How will we spend our break?” One question after another she fired at us. Looping my arm through hers we all walked slowly to the parking lot pondering the last question. “We must go somewhere together,” she insisted.

Parting ways at our vehicles we promised to go somewhere together . Unlocking the front door at home I heard moms business phone ringing. As the answering machine clicked on there was voice with an accent asking for a Tori Daniels. Leaving a message and phone number to call the phone was hung up. Wait that was me! Quickly grabbing a pen and notepad I played the message again and wrote the info down. Who would call asking for me on this number and why were my thoughts.

Wondering what to do and who it could be made me stand there blankly. Could it be him? When mom came home she told me the only way to find out what it was about was to call. Putting it off until the next morning, with a shaking hand I dialed the number. Four rings later someone answered. “Hello, this is Tori Daniels returning a call,” I squeaked out.

“ Yes Miss Daniels, I’ve been instructed to call and see if you had any free time,” he answered. “ I understand you are taking foreign language classes, he went on, “ And currently are on break.” Gulping loudly not knowing what to think all I could do was answer yes. “ We are in need of a tour guide for a trip to the mountains. All expenses paid. Would you be interested?” the man asked me. Their were a hundred questions I needed to ask but only one came out.

“ Who will I be going with?” came out loudly. The answer was that I’d find out in due time. They needed to know if I’d agree. Thinking fast to myself I stated my most important next questions, “ Can I bring two friends and how long will we be staying,” Pretty sure my friends would go on this adventure with me made me wait for the answers.

“ We will be leaving tomorrow morning at 6am and returning in two weeks. Your more then welcome to bring two friends as long as you do your guide duties when needed,” he stated. “ By the way you can call me Mr Kim. We have rented a spacious cabin in Shadow mountain. You will need ski clothing and boots. The items can be provided if you do not own any,” Mr Kim explained.

My mind was reeling at how fast he was going. Ok so we will be going to Shadow mountain for two weeks starting tomorrow morning and there will be skiing involved. What does this have to do with my language class is my thought now. “ When do you need an answer by Mr Kim?” was my final question. I had an hour to talk to Mia, Cera and my mom. So calling the girls and explaining what was up they readily agreed excitedly. My mom was the one that was hesitant about it.

“ You don’t even know these people, is this a job? Why the mysterious client?” she fired off. “What about your birthday in three days?” After talking it over she felt better that Mia and Cera were going along with me. We agreed to celebrate my birthday when I returned. All that was left was to call Mr Kim and give him my answer.

Giving Mr Kim our sizes he was in charge of buying our ski equipment. After packing Mia and Cera decided to spend the night with me. “ This is so exciting and the adventure we need,” they exclaimed. Everyone was so excited we didn’t sleep very much. The alarm went off at 5am, sleepily we got ourselves through the morning routine. Mr Kim agreed to send a car for us and it arrived at 5:45am. He loaded our luggage then drove us to the vans we would be riding in. The air immediately felt different when I exited the car. Slowly looking in the direction on the first van my eyes connected with someone.

Frozen in place because I knew it was him. How did he find me and what will happen now ran through my head. Mia and Cera bumped into me before noticing I was motionless. “What is wrong Tori?” they whispered to me while looking around curiously. Then I heard them gasp. Stepping from the van along with him was two very good looking men that I assumed were his friends. These two weeks are going to get very interesting.