F O U R T E E N

Ruth walked into the danger room in awe. She had heard the stories of it from the others, but seeing it up close was different. It was dark, the walls silver with glowing lights.

"Welcome to the bunker," Alex announced as he led her inside.

"It's called the Danger Room," Hank corrected, following close behind.

"I trained in here first, Bozo, I'm gonna call it whatever the fuck I want. Ruth, you ready?" He bent down to look at her, smiling as she fidgeted in her new suit.

Hank ran his hand over the slits in the back of her suit making her shiver. She shook her head. "No. I'm scared. And uncomfortable. I also feel like it's the first day of school and you two are giving me the 'be nice and play with the other kids' pep talk, but instead of be nice it's 'fight the robots' and instead of play it's 'work with'."

Alex looked up at Hank. "We have a child now, this is great. Where's my ring?"

Hank sighed. "Ruth, you'll do fine. I'm not sure if there's anything I do about your suit since it does need to accommodate your wings. Don't feel the need to use your boots if you don't think you can, they're just there in case. Your gloves are fully functional. Go get 'em."

She rolled her eyes. "Thanks, dad. Please leave, everyone's starting to show up."

Alex wiped away a fake tear. "They grow up so fast." He let himself be dragged away by an exasperated Hank.

Ruth felt a gust of wind and turned to see Peter standing behind her, decked out in a blue and silver suit. He smirked down at her, his goggles resting on the top of his head. "Look at you, all shiny and new. I like the gloves."

She smiled and lit up her hand, a flame rising. "Thanks."

He gasped. "Choice! That's sick! This'll be fun. We refer to each other in codenames—except for Jean because she's a butt and hasn't picked one yet—so get used to it. We have to get you one still! Hey, guys!" He waved over the rest of the team who had just walked in, "Ruth's here, we gotta name her!"

As they walked over, Kurt spoke up. "Isn't her name Ruth?"

Peter nodded patronizingly. "Yes. It is. But, we gotta give her a code name! I'm think Fire Girl!"

"I'm thinking no," Ruth said, crossing her arms.

He pouted. "Hmm...you got that fight or flight thing...Angel! Wait, no, that's the dude we're supposed to find. Glider? Pixie? Fire-something. Something-fire."

"Pyro," Jean offered.

"Ooh, I like that, we'll call you that," Jubilee said, smiling.

Peter crossed his arms. "I was gonna say that."

Ruth shook her head, laughing, and looked at Scott who looked put-off, sending hurt eyes at Jean who purposely looked away.

"Scott came up with," Jean signed, relenting, "I just said it."

Scott raised his chin, looking away from his best friend who rolled her eyes and shoved his shoulder.

"Line up!"

Everyone jumped at the sound of Raven and immediately ran into what Ruth guessed were their starting positions. She took her place next to Jubilee who waved her hand to call her over.

Raven walked up to Ruth, decked in a white suit, her yellow eyes examining Ruth closely.

"Hank hasn't briefed me on your suit. Explain." Her tone was demanding and curt, the type heard in the army. Ruth would be impressed if she wasn't terrified.