T H R E E

Ruth sat next to Kurt on an armchair. Or, to be more specific, Ruth sat on the armchair while Kurt perched himself on its arm, his tail swishing restlessly.

She lifted a hand, hovering over his arm. "You okay?"

He looked down at her and nodded, letting her rest her hand on his arm. "I am fine. Just nervous."

She nodded, choosing not to ask why. It was always better not to ask why, people usually got defensive. Then, they got mad.

Everyone looked at Charles who was just calmly sipping his tea because he's Charles and he's British.

Ruth fidgeted, feeling as antsy as Kurt. "C-can I ask why I'm here? Like, I'm pretty sure no one else knows, but you're a team right? Or something."

"Yes, we are." Ruth turned to look at a girl with white hair. "I am also wondering why you are here. Professor?"

Charles put down his cup and cleared his throat. "Ruth is here because we need an outside perspective and she's the only one who hasn't faced any sort of repercussions from the recent events."

Ruth sighed. "So...I'm here because no one else was stupid enough to be sent here after the school blew up?"

Hank flinched, putting a hand on Alex's shoulder. "Yes."

She sighed. "M'kay. So what're we doing here?"

Charles motioned at Kurt who ducked his head. "We have reason to believe that one of the 'horsemen' we had faced those months ago, Angel, is still alive. We are going to rescue him."

There was an uproar. Everyone started talking all at once. People were standing, others were pointing fingers, some stayed completely silent. Raven opened her mouth to shout, but Kurt beat her to it.

"Shut up!"

Everyone froze, staring at the normally soft-spoken mutant. He took a deep breath. "We need to find him. He's hurt."

Scott sighed. "Kurt, he's probably dead."

Kurt tried to protest, but Charles beat him to it. "We have reason to believe he's still alive. It's just speculation, but that's still something."

Kurt nodded. "Even if he isn't, we can't just leave him there! It's wrong!"

Raven pinched the bridge of her nose. "Kurt. He tried to kill you. Twice." She shook her head. "Let it go."

Kurt shook his head, his tail swishing violently. He struggled for words, but none came out. He looked so frustrated, so angry. He opened his mouth, but no words came out.

Ruth put a hand on his shoulder. "Guys, this is obviously important to him. What's the harm in trying?"

"We don't even know where he is," Raven argued, "And we're just basing it off the fact they didn't find a body in the wreckage. That's nothing to go off of."

"But this means something to Kurt," Ruth countered. "Look at him! He's upset about something, but just because he can't describe how he's feeling doesn't mean he's not feeling it! If he wants to find this guy, I say we should."

"And what makes you think you have a say in it?" Ruth looked at Scott who was sitting on the couch, arms crossed. 

She took a deep breath; she couldn't lash out now. Kurt need her. "I dunno, I'm in the room, aren't I? I heard I was an outside perspective. There's mine."

Charles nodded. "We need a deciding vote. Everyone else?"

The girl with the white hair—her name's Ororo, by the way—raised her hand. "We weren't close. None of us really were. But you gave me a second chance, I'd like to do the same for him."