T E N

Ruth had been staying with Ms. Maximoff for two weeks. She had pretty much moved into Peter's room and had acquainted herself with the whole block.

"Ruth, Atticus is here!" Ms. Maximoff called down.

Ruth looked up from her Ms. Pac-Man game, rushing up the stairs. "Thanks, Ms. Maximoff!"

She stopped in front of the door, looking at the grinning Atticus Irving who was practically vibrating with excitement.

"We're going on a trip, It's a Wonderful Life!" he announced, grabbing her hand and pulling her out onto the porch.

"Don't call me that," she said, pulling her hand away, "And Ruth Dakin Bailey isn't any better, so don't try."

He sighed long-sufferingly. "Fine. But, I'm serious, this is really important."
He leaned close. "Remember that guy you were looking for? Warren Worthington III?"

She nodded. "Yeah. Wait, you didn't mention that to anyone, did you?"

He shook his head. "No...not really, anyways. My cousin, he works for one of the employers in the company's headquarters."

She blinked. "So...?"

He sighed. "So...we can find the files that lead us to the location of the lab that they used to experiment on other mutants!"

She sighed. "Do we even know Worthington Jr. was experimenting on mutants?"

Atticus nodded furiously. "I can guarantee it, I snuck into it already and found the files that pretty much guarantee it."

She raised her eyebrow. "Proof?"

He stared at her and reached into his satchel, whipping out three thick Manila folders.

She flipped through the first, shuddering at the first few pages. "Okay, I believe you. When do we start?"

"Now! Go grab a backpack and some snacks, we're going on a road trip!"

Ruth couldn't help but smile as she stepped into the house, rushing to grab a backpack and snacks.

She had bumped into Atticus by accident when she was on a walk, trying not to get too upset; she had no reason for being upset, yet she was.

Her hair had gone up in flames and she had heard a shout of 'awesome!', but no one was there. A boy with messy hair and a large grin appeared in front of her a moment later, as if being formed out of thin air.

"Will you be back?" Ms. Maximoff asked.

She never asked where Ruth was going or how long she would be gone, just if she was coming back. If Ruth ever saw Peter again, she was hitting him upside the head for being a pretty crappy son.

"Yes," Ruth said. After a pause, she added, "I'm sorry."

Ms. Maximoff gave her a sad smile, pulling her into a careful hug. "You're always welcome here, Ruth."

She smiled up at the woman and adjusted her backpack. "You can't get rid of me that easily. With any luck, I might come back with Peter in tow."

Ms. Maximoff's smile was heartbreaking. She put a hand over her heart. "Don't raise my hopes up. Have fun, honey."

Ruth smiled and headed towards Atticus who was admiring the items in the glass case, bending down comically.

"Let's go!" he cheered. "I have enough chicken for the bus fare and lunch and a motel if we need it. I have it all planned out."

"Where'd you get the money?" she asked as they walked to the bus stop.

He cleared his throat, growing stiff. "I may have stolen all the cash from my mom and dad's wallets...It's for a worthy cause, Ruth!"