Chapter three: Across the line

After I got home from school, I went up to my bathroom to take a fast shower. I hoped it I would wash away all the stress from this afternoon. Half an hour later, I got out of the shower. After I put my PJ’s on, I blow dyed my hair, then went to my bedroom. Feeling a little better, I started on my homework. Angel told me she would be over later on tonight; so would Alec. Angel was staying over since my mother was out of town and my dad moved out two weeks ago. I wished they would have stayed together, but they fought way too much. They both thought it would be better if he just left; in fact, they were never married in the first place; my mother had me when she was still in high school.

I was feeling lightheaded all over again. I put my homework down on my computer desk and headed downstairs to the kitchen. After drinking a whole glass of water, I walked slowly to the living room; what was wrong with me?

I heard a knock on my front door; I called out for them to come in. It wasn’t Angel or Alec; of course I should have known, because they never knocked; they would just come right on in. The guy currently standing in my house was the guy I thought I would never see again-aside from school, of course-but enough, here he was.

I walked over to him. “What are you doing here, Devan?”

“I wanted to see you, Brit.” He told me; no doubt he was lying to me.

I shook my head. “I don’t believe you. I know you’re lying, Devan! You didn’t think I remember anything from lunch today, do you? Because I think you were pretty clear on that, dumbass!” I’m sure, he just came from the house of one of his girlfriend’s. “I want you to get out of my house!” Right at that moment, Angel and Alec walked through the door.

Alec glared at Devan. “You better leave now before I call the police.” 

He didn’t leave. Instead, he moved closer to me; that was a huge mistake on his part. Alec went over to him and then punched him in his pretty right eye. “I said to leave, asshole!”

Devan only gave him the finger. ‘This isn’t over!” he shouted into Alec’s face, before leaving my house for good.

What was he planning on doing next? Killing someone? He said this wasn’t over yet; what did he mean by that? Did I even want to know? Not really.

I fought back a sob. “I’m afraid of him!” I said aloud. “I don’t know what he’s planning next, but I don’t like the thought of that.”

Alec pulled me close, wrapped his arms around me. I pressed my face against his warm chest, finally allowed myself to cry. I hated to cry in front of my friends, but at this moment, I didn’t really care. I needed them more than anything else in the world.

“It’ll be alright. I won’t let him hurt you again, Brit.” Alec whispered into my hair, taking in a long, tortured breath. His hands spilled over my shoulders and my back, holding me tightly to him. My fingers curled around his shirt just to hold him closer.

I didn’t know how long we stayed like that, but he was the first one to pull away.

“I thought you guys were about to make out or something.” Angel mused. Alec laughed at her comment, but I didn’t laugh or say anything. I needed to talk to Angel alone. I needed to talk to her when he wasn’t around.

I went over to where Angel was sitting on the sofa. “We need to talk.” I told her. “Alone.”

She nodded and got up. “What about your bedroom?”

I nodded. “Alec, just stay down here,” Once in my bedroom, I told Angel everything that happened at the party that night. Her eyes widened after I told her.

“Why didn’t you tell me right away!?” she asked.

The truth was I didn’t want to tell anyone; not even my best friend. “I just didn’t want to tell anyone at first.” I replied. “Please don’t tell Alec. I don’t want him to know any of this. Please keep this between the two of us.”

“I won’t tell him or anyone else…I promise. You know, this could be why you’re been getting sick.” What was she getting at? She watched my clueless expression. “Don’t be a blonde, Brit. You could be pregnant! It’s been almost a month since you slept with Devan. Just remember, you were drunk as hell, and he probably didn’t even use protection.

I’m in the 10th grade and I’m only sixteen! This couldn’t be happening; not to me! What am I going to do now? Angel was the only one who knew about this. “Angel Allen! Don’t even say that! I can’t be.”

She ran her hand through her blonde hair. “Let’s see here; you’ve been getting sick a lot lately and you’ve been having these weird cravings. Doesn’t that make sense to you?”

I opened my bedroom door and stormed downstairs. I don’t care what Angel thinks; this wasn’t true. I won’t let it be. I felt tears running down my face again. Alec looked over at me and then at Angel. “What’s going on?”

I shook my head at her. If she says anything, I swear to God, I won’t ever talk to her again. “I…um…can’t say.” She said quickly.

He ran a hand through his blonde, scene hair. “So now, you’re both hiding stuff from me!? He sounded mad.

I don’t think I can hide this from everyone, but if I do take a test, it’s just going to come back saying not pregnant.

“I might as well just tell him, Angel.” I told her.

“Alone?” she asked. “Or do you want me to stay in here with you?”

I smiled. “Just stay in here.”     

I told him everything; it only took about ten minutes. I could tell he didn’t like any of this; that’s why I didn’t want to tell him in the first place. 

Without saying anything, he stormed outside. “Get your ass in the car. We’re going to buy you a test.” Angel ordered me.

We made our way to the car and headed off to the drugstore. Alec didn’t talk whatsoever; he was pissed off big time. What have I done?

An hour later, Angel came out of the store. ”Just to be accurate, I got three different brands.”  She handed me the plastic bag full of pregnancy tests. I looked at it in disgust; I so didn’t want to do this.  Once we were back at my house, I ran up the stairs to my bathroom and took the first test. After three minutes passed, I looked at the test. It came back pregnant; I was speechless. I took the next two tests just to make sure the thing wasn’t lying to me, but they all came back the same. I ran into my room where Angel and Alec were sitting on my bed.

“I’m pregnant!” I yelled. “I’m screwed. I’m in the 10th grade and I’m having a baby!” Alec jaw dropped.

“How are you going to tell your stalkerish baby daddy?” she asked. How should I know? I don’t want to tell him, that’s for sure.

Alec got off of my bed and made his over to me, putting his arms around me. “It will be better off not telling him, Britany. We will get through this.”

The way he said “we” made me think that I was starting to have feelings for him; am I starting to like my best guy friend? “I have to tell my mother about this, don’t I?” they both nodded at me. How was she going to feel about this? I knew for a fact she’s going to be really mad at me, and who knows what else.

........................................................................................

VOTE

COMMENT

&& FAN :D