Demi Charmed: Chapter Five

Chapter Five: Kingly Exhaustion

Demi was so tired. She and Chris were on Phoebe’s laptop gathering sources for their project. It was after midnight, they were all done with cleaning up the kitchen and everybody had gone home. Phoebe left her laptop here and Demi and Chris were making the most of it. They had put books on hold at the library and bookmarked several links. When Chris left to go to the bathroom, Demi put some King Arthur movies on hold at the library too.

“I think we’re done for tonight,” Demi yawned.

Chris nodded but continued talking. “I emailed myself those links, so when we go to the library I can print them all off.”

Demi was too tired to make a comment on how many trees Chris would be killing in the process. Chris shut the computer and sat there for a moment. You could see that he was deep in thought. You could also see that Demi was about to become deep in sleep. She had her first demon battling with the Halliwells today, had her finger cut open and then healed, she was wooed by Wyatt Halliwell but did not kiss him, and she had washed a record number of dishes, and worked on gathering sources for the project. It was definitely a successful day.

“There is one source we haven’t checked yet,” Chris nudged Demi so she would pay attention.

“No!” Demi protested, just wanting to crawl into her bed and go into bear hibernation. “We have been on every King Arthur site imaginable; I think we have thorough enough information to last us a lifetime!”

“The Book of Shadows,” Chris said, completely ignoring Demi’s complaints.

Demi popped open one eye and stared at him. “You must be more sleep deprived then I am.”

Chris shook his head. “Never mind, we can go to bed now.”

“Whoa Sir,” Demi teased him. “You have to buy me dinner first.”

Chris blushed. “You can go to bed in your room, in your bed and then I can go to bed in my room, in my bed.”

“I was teasing you,” Demi playfully punched him on the shoulder as she got up to leave.

There was some chaos the next morning. Demi got up and dressed herself in regular jeans and a green shirt that brought out the green in her hazel eyes, seeing as though she had a great outfit to start the day with, she had assumed that it would be a great day. Then she walked down stairs to pour herself a large bowl of cereal (she hadn’t eaten dinner last night), when she was intertwined with the commotion.

“Demi,” Wyatt left his crying mother’s side and walked over to her. “Have you seen Chris? He’s not here! You were the last person with him.”

Demi’s heart skipped a beat. “No, I went to bed and he was still at the computer.”

“Did he say anything about going anywhere or getting something for you project?”

“You guys said two demons got away yesterday!” Piper shouted. “What if they kidnaped him?”

The last thing Demi remembered was Chris suggesting that they checked the Book of Shadows for anything that might help them with King Arthur, since the legend said he was sort of mystical, with Merlin and everything. But Chris was walking behind her on her way to her room. She heard him go to his room. He wouldn’t have…

“No,” Demi panicked. “I’ll be right back, I—I didn’t put my contacts in correctly,” She lied; she didn’t wear contacts.

Demi ran upstairs and all the way up to the attic. The Book of Shadows was shut, seemingly untouched and the altar was clear. There was no sign that any spell or ritual went on here last night. Demi sighed; she really didn’t want Piper to be right.