Chapter Twenty-one

I reached for my glasses to read the alarm clock. A lump formed in my throat as 12:30 rolled across its face. Twelve-thirty was quickly becoming the new 2:30, and I couldn’t take much more of waking so early in the day.

I tiptoed down the stairs to my computer, maintaining a firm grip on the banister to keep me from stumbling in the dark. I didn’t think reading the headlines would aid in putting me back to sleep, but something needed to occupy my troubled mind.

Going to bed angry hadn’t helped matters. I was angry that my friend was pushing me further away each day, but I was furious with Luc. I should have bitten my tongue after our guests had left, but I couldn’t let the double ambush regarding the colonel slide.

“It just slipped my mind, and I told her we’d go before talking to you and I planned to tell her we weren’t going when she came over for dinner,” he’d argued after I’d hurled the accusations at him.

“So you plan when it comes to her, yet you’re constantly forgetting when it comes to me! And telling her you’d go to that damn church when you knew my feelings about it. I can’t take it anymore!” The baby gave a sharp kick that doubled me over in pain.

“Are you okay, Lily?” He’d asked, hurrying to my side and tilting my chin up with his hand.

“Don’t touch me,” I’d ordered. “You want to spend even more time with the snake than you already do? Then go. I don’t need you.” I’d stormed off in tears at nine and stayed that way until sometime after 10:15, when Luc came in all apologetic. I didn’t want to hear his excuses so I feigned sleep.

I jostled the mouse, eager for the brightness of the computer screen to overwhelm the blackness around me. I scanned through the headlines, but none piqued my curiosity. It was now officially the day after Thanksgiving; nothing newsworthy would be reported until Monday.

“Mommy, I’m scared,” Maggie cried as she descended the stairs. She tried to scoot onto my lap but there was no room.

“Why don’t you go sleep with Daddy?” I suggested.

“No, I want you.”

“But there isn’t enough room for all three of us in the bed. If you need a light in your room, we’ll turn one on,” I said impatiently.

“I’m scared, Mommy,” she answered, this time sobbing.

I pulled her into an embrace. “It’s okay. We’ll sleep on the couch.” I didn’t like the prospect of sharing the couch with her, but it was where I would sleep best. I waddled to the den, aching with each step. We lay down on separate ends of the sofa, but she snuggled up against me in a matter of minutes. It didn’t take long to drift off.

Had I coughed and not realized it?

No, there hadn’t been a cough. Certainly I would remember that. But there was dampness, and I had better bladder control than…

…Ohhh…

I bolted to my feet and ran to the bathroom, my underwear soaked before reaching the toilet.

“Luc! Luc! Maggie, go get your daddy! Please!” I yelled frantically.

It was too soon. The baby wasn’t due for another month.

“Luc! Please come here!”

“Wha?” he asked, rubbing his eyes.

“I think my water just broke.”