Under the Green Veil

The spade pierced the soggy earth as the girl stared at the grave to her right. Laden with a backpack and a quiver, she raised her hand to wipe the tearstains trailing down her cheek. The quiver slid off her shoulder, and she set the two bags onto the ground. Now she could focus on digging the hole. Mud splattered onto her filthy jeans, but she paid no notice to the grime. It would wash away before anyone could care. She wanted to beat the weather and return home with a good alibi, food.

She speared the earth again and again, until the hole was deep enough to conceal and protect her cargo. Thunder rumbled in the distance as she set the spade down and reached into the backpack for the plastic-covered books.

"Well, what do we have here?" a man's voice asked, sending the girl onto the wet grass. "State your name."

"J-Jennifer, Jennifer Baldwin, but everyone calls me Jenny," Jessa lied as the green of his fatigues sent chills down her spine.  Wondering where his efftard posse was, she craned her neck to see around him. 

"Know what happened?" He pointed to the semi-recently disturbed dirt to his left.

She didn't see anyone, but that didn't mean he was alone. It wouldn't be long before he put two and two together, and she'd be staring down a barrel, if luck was on her side. She found his line of sight and stared at the graves. 

"My guess is a few people died." Six, to be exact. "Blood's all over the house." She slowly patted the ground in search of anything that might assist her.

"You've been inside?" His eyes shifted to her appearance, and she could see a look of disappointment on his face as he extended a hand to help her up. 

She grabbed it. 

"You're not a member of the Order. Have you made your decision?" His voice was measured.

"I choose death," she answered.

To Be Continued in Under the Green Veil, beginning Friday, September 4, 2015.