Chapter 11 : Feeling weird

Chapter 11

Middle of the night...

Riker POV

"It's all your fault, Riker. That's why we're dead," my mom said.

"I didn't mean to! I'm so sorry!" I cried.

My dad started hitting me. He'd never done this before, and it took me by surprise. I started screaming and crying even louder. It hurt so bad!

"Riker, wake up!"

"I am awake!"

"Riker, come on! Wake up!"

"What?"

My eyes snapped open, and I saw Ellington sitting up beside me with a worried look on his face. I let out a relieved sigh, and turned my face towards the pillow. I'm too tired to cry. Please don't cry!

I managed to hold in my tears. I felt Ell slowly rubbing my back. After a few minutes I sat up to face him.

"What happened?" I asked.

"Well... You took so long to fall asleep, that I fell asleep next to you. And then I woke up when you started moving around and whimpering."

"Sorry..."

"It's ok. How are you?"

"Still shaky... But I'm ok..."

"See? You're ok. You said it yourself. You don't need those pills. You're not even crying."

I sighed again, laying back down.

"Riker?"

"I'm tired."

"Ok."

"Stay here, please."

"Of course."

I felt the bed move slightly as Ell laid down next to me. It was a little squishy because the beds here were tiny, but I didn't want to be alone, and I wasn't letting Ell leave any time soon.

Morning...

Riker POV

I felt really weird and jumpy inside when I woke up. I'm definitely taking a pill tonight. Last night was awful.

"Ell?"

I shook him until he woke up.

"What? Are you ok?"

"Yeah... I had a question though..."

"What?" He asked, sitting up beside me.

"Have you ever tried to escape?"

"Escape?"

"From here. Over the fence?"

"No...? Why? Riker, don't get any stupid ideas!"

"I'm not! I'm just... wondering..."

"Well quit your wondering. Let's go eat breakfast."

"We already missed breakfast. I checked the clock in the hall when I went to the bathroom a few minutes ago."

"We missed breakfast!?"

"Yup."

"What time is it?"

"Around 10:30."

"Ugh..."

"What?"

"I'm hungry!"

"Oh... Sorry..."

Later...

Riker POV

We were at lunch right now. I was trying to seem as normal as possible, but honestly, I felt really strange inside. And I also didn't want Ell catching on that I might be trying to escape...

I'd thought about this already a little. I debated whether or not to tell him because what if he wanted to come with me and escape too? But I decided against it. He's going to try to stop me if I tell him. I know it! So I'm not going to. But I'm going to need a really good plan, and I need to not let him find out about it!

"Riker."

"What!?"

I was lost in my thoughts, and he sort of startled me. Ell laughed a little bit at me.

"Sorry... Um... I was just wondering why you're not eating."

"Oh... I feel weird inside..."

"Weird, how?"

"Weird like... I don't know! I can't explain it! But it's a bad weird."

"Do you want to go to the nurse?"

"No! And I never want to go back there unless I really need to, so stop asking me if I want to go to the stupid nurse!"

I got up, threw away my food, and walked out. I'm not sure exactly why I just acted how I did, but I did know that I needed some time to think.

Later...

Riker POV

I'd sort of snuck away from Ell. After my actions at lunch, he'd come to try to talk to me. I just said I didn't feel well, which wasn't a lie. I honestly didn't feel good. I kind of just brushed him off. He just said to come to his room if I needed to talk.

I was downstairs in the fenced in area outside right now. I was looking at the fence, seeing how hard it would be if I tried to escape. I couldn't help it! I wanted to go home!

The door opened suddenly, and I saw Ellington.

"I thought I might find you out here."

I rolled my eyes. How was he so good at knowing me though!?

"Come on. Let's go back inside."

I sighed as Ell grabbed my arm, and pulled me away.

"I seriously don't want you thinking about trying stuff, Riker. No pills, no escaping, no nothing."

I sighed again. It's not fair! He doesn't understand! I want to go home!

I got in my bed as Ell sat on the end of it.

"Can I trust you not to take any of those pills tonight?"

"Yeah."

"Ok."

Later...

Riker POV

I grabbed my pajamas, and went to the bathroom to go change. Ell did the same. I got back in bed, and said goodnight to Ell. I shut off the light, and then got my water bottle and a pill. I quickly swallowed it, got in bed, and laid there, wondering about what the easiest way was to escape.

Maybe if I climbed over the fence, and took off running, and nobody saw me, I could make it to my house. But... I'm not exactly sure where I am, or where my house is...

But I could worry about this all tomorrow. I just need to get some sleep right now...