Chapter 29

A.N. This wasn't supposed to be out in other two days since I posted yesterday, but I found the nicest Instagram post by camrenjaurello_ with a bunch of very nice comments about the story.

And well yeah, I'm emotional and I'm here crying over it, and I decided that such supportive people that you all are deserved an early update, so here it is.
I hope you'll enjoy it and it's ok to tear up a little, I cried writing the middle piece of the chapter too (I'm that emotional).

(2016)

I was sitting on the couch beside Camila, who had Sofi on her lap. They were talking animatedly about Sofia's schoolwork and which ones of her classmates were going to come to her birthday.

We hadn't had time to discuss Gabe calling Sinu 'grandma' with Camila and they were still away, but that meant so much.

Gabe knew perfectly that his grandparents were his parents' parents, we never had the talk about who Camila was for him, but apparently his mind was set already.

If my heart was so swollen I couldn't even start thinking about Camila's, I kept an eye on her, and she was radiant, it hit her too.

After some time Gabe came running at us in his usual joyful manner, his dark locks looked so soft and in his whole appearance was clear that the woman took meticulous care of him, he seemed a little prince.

He jumped to sit on my lap like Sofi was on Camila's, but as soon as he got close enough Camila leaned in his direction, she grabbed the boy's chin and brought her face to his neck.

"Oh my God..." she whispered, "Lo, take Sofi."

I didn't question her and took the girl on my lap as we both watched her older sister's weird behavior.

Gabe chuckled while Camila held him close to sniff him.

"Camz..." I tried but I really had no idea what to say, so I looked up at Sinu that had a knowing smile.

"Mom, is this agua de violetas?" Camila asked with her face still against the kid's chest, only her eyes visible over his little shoulder.

I finally got what was going on, it was a Cuban cologne used mostly on kids and babies, and Camila still had some she'd put on every once in a while at night after taking her shower, but it wasn't quite the same.

On kids it naturally took a sweeter scent.

I had faded memories of my mom using it on me and my siblings when we were babies too.

Sinu nodded, her smile widening at her daughter's reaction.

"This is hands down my favorite smell in the world." The girl clarified.

It was heartwarming, and even more reading between the lines, that simple action meant somehow that the woman accepted the kid as a family member, reserving for him the same care she once had for her daughters.

Sofia had her head resting on my shoulder looking at her sister with the kid, I combed the young girl's hair out of habit, she was so similar to Camila in some aspects it was insane.

When Alejandro came back home we had dinner and the kids couldn't stop talking about the fun day they had, this time around I was more involved in the conversation too and it all felt more natural.

After a few yawns Gabe pulled at my shirt.

"I really wanna take a nap now" the words felt unnatural from his mouth, he must have been way too tired if he admitted it like that and wanted to go to bed without being asked.

"Do you know your way to the bedroom?" I asked to make sure and he nodded.

"Alright then, say goodnight to everybody and you can go."