Chapter Nine - The Inexhaustible Silence of Houses

We all have our demons, that dark force that poisons an innocent soul. We also have our fears, our dreams, our hopes, but most of all, that darkness within us. That darkness doesn't necessarily make you evil. It could mean anything. Corruption for a child, a traumatic past, or a secret you'd rather die with than have it revealed. Harper had one of those. A secret that could change everything for her. A secret that nobody could know. It wouldn't just destroy the people close to her-it'd destroy her too.

Emily was confused when she appeared in someone's bedroom. She took her time investigating the room until she heard a crash from downstairs. Emily hurried to go see what the noise was, but Harper ran into the room. Her eyes were saucers wild with fear. She slammed the door behind her and locked it. There was a male's muffled cursing from the other side of the door, but it faded away. Harper was trembling. She leaned her back against the door and let out a shaky breath. It wasn't long before she slid to the floor and began to cry.

Emily felt awkward standing there even though she couldn't be seen. She didn't know what her lesson was supposed to be from Harper. Was she supposed to feel sorry for her? She didn't to be honest. A fight with, what Emily assumed to be her father, was nothing compared to the things she had seen already. Sure, she helped Jason through his issues, but that didn't make her a saint. Quite frankly, Emily thought Harper deserved this sadness. It was very little pain compared to what she caused for Emily when she was alive.

When Harper collected herself and stood up Emily was appalled to find her wounded. A large pink hand-mark sweltered on the side of her face. Harper wiped her tears, wincing in the process. Her breath quavered, but she was calmer now. Harper picked up a hair tie and pulled her hair back into a ponytail. Obviously tired, and somewhat defeated, she settled into her bed and turned out her bedside light.

Emily crossed the next vortex that appeared. It transported her to the school's indoor swimming pool. The swim team was practicing in the water. Some members were doing butterflies while others were doing stretches. Both the girl's and boy's swim teams were there. Few people came to the pool other than those who worked in the water, but there were a few stray teens that hung out in the metal bleachers, mostly because the atmosphere of the pool was favorable. Even though the teams swam violently to perfect their strides, it was quiet. The place was deserted, to say the least. The added sound of the splashing water made the area calming in it's own way. The only drama that ever erupted at the pool was when someone on the team tried to defy the coach. That was always amusing.

Emily found the red-headed she-devil walking alongside the pool, searching the water. Emily surveyed Harper while she was still. Her hair was pulled up and her eyeshadow done a warm pinkish peach that went well with her complexion. Her face was void of any marks or bruises due to the foundation she wore. Whatever Harper was feeling, she didn't make a major difference to her apparel. She wore a white skirt with black birds printed on it. Her shirt was a pale baby blue and she wore a white cardigan with an elegant gold flower necklace around her neck. All in all, Harper gave nothing away. Emily had to hand it to her, she recovered well from last night. Then again, maybe this wasn't the first time she'd been hit. Emily didn't really want to think about that.

"Harper! I hope you didn't come all this way to see me shirtless!" A voice called.

Harper's eyes flickered to a boy in annoyance. "Please Austin, I've seen and experienced far better. Why don't you swim along and let the lower classmen fawn over you?"

Austin leaned back and floated in the water, his arms behind his head. "Virgins are too easy."

Harper rolled her eyes. "I'm sorry, have you withdrawn from your reputation as a Cherry Popper?"

Austin chuckled and sat up right. "Can't say I have, but you're welcome anytime." He shamelessly raked his eyes over Harper's body.

She scoffed. "You're a disgusting excuse for a man-not that you were one to begin with."