Chapter Eight - The Monsters Inside of Us

Emily was left with a perpetual darkness in her chest. She supposed that was a feeling you received when your soul wanders long enough. Emily felt tugged in endless directions, as though separate ropes were tied to each of her limbs and were yanking to the path they thought was best. It seemed likely that she was fated to visit the past again. Take a visit to where you came when you're not sure where to start, that was the saying, wasn't it?

Emily's start was in the end of the third grade. It was the only time Emily ever forcefully stood up for herself, and it was also the last. It was the final week of school. Jason and Emily were frenetically chattering about plans for the summer. This, of course, was not only the end of the third grade, but also the start of Jason's sports career. It was only natural for the kids on his soccer team to steal him away from Emily not long after recess had started. Jason looked to Emily for approval when it happened, and how could she say no when he obviously wanted to play with the boys? She nodded and watched as Jason fled with the other kids. Emily's eight-year-old self sighed and kicked a small rock on the ground. She turned in the opposite direction toward the monkey bars.

By the bar junction a group of little girls giggled together. They fell silent when Emily approached. She had no intention of making friends with them. Emily had plenty of people she got along with in class, but she was never interested in playing with other girls during break times. All the girls in her grade ever did was gossip about other third graders, talk about boys, or played hopscotch or did jump rope. Emily, on the other hand, was one of the few girls who wasn't afraid to get mud on their clothes. She loved playing games of tag, dodgeball, kickball or racing from one side of the playground to the other with anyone who was willing to challenge her. Needless to say, Emily had been a bit of a tomboy when compared to the rest of the girls at school.

Emily climbed to the top of the web-like dome of bars. She leaped from the dome and grabbed hold of the higher bars. Emily swung herself forward, latching onto the different bars with ease. When she started getting bored she swung her legs up. With the new metal rod tucked underneath Emily's ankles she slid the rest of her legs over it until it was behind her knees. Satisfied, she let go of the bar she had her hands on. Emily's body swung back. She giggled at being upside down. It was highly entertaining for an eight-year-old.

A red haired girl suddenly blocked Emily's line of vision.

She swung herself back up and grabbed hold of the metal. Emily was a good five feet higher than the girl by clinging to the junction.

"Emmie, right?" The little girl asked.

Emily nodded. Then thought better of it. "It's Emily."

"Whatever. So, you wanna come play with me and my friends? We're going to do jump rope."

"Um, no thanks."

The red haired girl's face fell. Then her tone turned sour. "You know, girls are supposed to do things like that-not monkey bars." She wrinkled her nose.

Emily frowned. "But I like monkey bars."

"But you're pretty, and pretty girls shouldn't play on the monkey bars! Swings are better if you want to be up high."

Little-Emily studied the girl. Her hair was wavy and the color of fire. The bedazzled headband she wore dragged the hair back. On her nose and cheek were a few light freckles. She seemed nice enough. Emily thought she even recognized her to be in her class the year before.

She looked over at the grass field to find Jason busy playing soccer with his friends. Emily would have joined them, but they played differently. They were too fast and did all kinds of fancy tricks with their feet. Emily felt out of place whenever she tried.

"Alright." Emily kicked her legs down.

"Yay!" The girl smiled and captured Emily's wrist. She dragged her back over to her friends.

Emily didn't like being pulled, but she didn't want to upset the girl. If Jason was making other boy friends... maybe it was a good idea to make other friends that were girls.

The girls had formed a line as they waited for their turn with the long rope. Emily wondered why they were doing that, and almost ran and jumped along with another girl, but she never saw any of them do that as she watched. Emily waited in the line with the red haired girl.

"What's your name?" Emily asked her while they waited.

A steady click of the rope hit the ground as the other girls sang a song.

"Harper." She chirped then spun around to Emily."You hang out with Jason, right?"

She nodded. "He's my best friend."

"He's cute." Harper smirked.

Emily shrugged her shoulders. "I guess."

"Are you his girlfriend?"

Emily went wide eyed in horror. "Ew! No!"

Harper grinned. "Awesome!"

"How is that awesome?" Little-Ems questioned.

"Because I'm going to make him be my boyfriend!"

Emily scowled dubiously. "You can't make him do anything."

"We'll see." She sang.

Ems kept her mouth shut.

"So are you sad?"

Emily looked up. "No, why?"

"Because Jason isn't your friend anymore."

She gaped at Harper. "He's still my friend! He'll always be!"

"Nuh-uh! He's playing with other boys now! I bet he doesn't like you anymore."

"He does too! He... he just..." Emily faltered at trying to find an explanation.

"Face it! He doesn't like you anymore! He likes me!"

"You've never even talked to him!"

"I have so! Me and my mom went to Rainbow Ritz Ice Cream yesterday! Jason was there and he sat with me!" She smirked.

"W-what?" A fear set in. Was Harper going to steal Emily's only friend?

"Yep! And I'm going to be his girlfriend!"

"Shut up!" Emily yelled at Harper, her little hands balling into fists.

"You know why you're not his friend anymore? Because you're a freak!"

Emily's eyes watered. "Am not!"

"Are too! You're a freak! You don't even play like a girl! You're a weirdo!"

As soon as the last word left her mouth, Emily's fist collided with her nose. Harper fell to the ground. All the girls stopped playing jump rope and turned. A crowd of kids ran over and formed a ring around the two girls. Harper laid on the ground crying. When she removed her hand from her nose blood trickled down. Emily's mouth fell open in shock at what she had done.

Emily took a step toward her. "Harper... I'm so sorry!"

Harper flinched when she went to help her up. "No! Get away from me!"

Suddenly, a curly haired boy broke through the crowd. Jason spotted Emily, then looked to the side and found Harper.

He rushed over to her. "What happened?"

Emily's voice barely functioned. "I... I-I didn't meant to-"

"She hit me!" Harper pointed at me.

Jason stared in disbelief. "How could you..."

A teacher came to see what all the ruckus was about. Emily was immediately dragged to the principal's office. The next few years that came, Harper made sure Emily regretted ever throwing that fist at her. What could have been a friend ended up being a nemesis.