The Battle

Dean's POV

After saying goodbye to Tammy, we flew down the highway towards the Shadow Clan spotting. We were going over double the speed limit and with Dru behind the wheel, we better not be pulled over.

"Dean, I don't want to be the cover. After what happened to Anna last time, I think I should be up the front with the rest of you guys," spoke Dru, his eyes never leaving the road.

Because of Dru's ability, we usually have him up somewhere high so he can use his arrows and pick off the Shadow Clan while the rest of us fight up close with them.

I ran a hand threw my hair and thought through this new approach. Finally I answered him, "I don't think that's a good idea right now. We need to practice before we go out and do it. Stick to how we usually do it Dru."

I saw Dru's jaw clench but he said nothing. Good, I thought he'd argue.

I looked over my shoulder at Vanessa, "That bet still on Vanessa? Remember if I take down more than you, that's a whole week of my chores." I smirked, we usually have this little competition. I usually won.

She returned my smirk with confidence, "Last time you cheated. If I hadn't teleported with my back to the Shadow, I would have killed him before you're knife even got near his throat."

The Twins sat in there usual seats in the back of the car. They were silent except for the occasional looks they gave one another. It might be strange to see but once they're in a fight, the are deadly. Strange, but deadly, which is exceptional in my books.

Lastly I looked at Anna. She sat quietly next to Vanessa. I frowned. She had her leather gloves off. That was extremely unusual for her. She was so cautious about touching things to the extent of avoiding personal contact altogether. Her small hands rubbed together, a puzzled expression on her face.

I was about to ask her if everything was okay but I was interrupted by Dru tapping on my shoulder.

"Man, we're here. We have to go the rest of the way on foot otherwise they'll hear us," Dru said. I nodded and we pulled over to the side of the road.

I jumped out and took in my surroundings; tall dark trees surrounded us and I could see a huge old farmers shed in the distance. It was the perfect place for a group of Shadows to live in.

I instinctively reached my hands back and felt the familar handles of my sabres swords. My babies will have fun tonight.

"Dean, we'll take the back of the shed. We can ambush them better that way. No escapes." The Twins spoke to me as they simultaneously strapped on their switch blades. They don't usually use weapons, they rely mostly on their abilities.

"Sounds good. Be careful though, they can see way better in the dark than we can." I turned to Dru, "Can you climb up to the window and shoot through that?"

He grinned, "How about something more challenging?" I ignored him.

"Vanessa, don't teleport until we're there. Your flash will alert them," I instructed.

She snorted and rolled her eyes, "I know Dean. Gosh, we've done this like a million times."

I nodded, "Alright let's do this."

                ◆                                 ◆

We approached the old wooden shed in complete silence, our footsteps noiseless. I motioned for the Twins to move around towards the back door.

I smiled at how harmless Anna looked. The purple tomahawk clutched in her small hand said otherwise. 

It's times like these that I wish I could see the future on command instead of the visions coming spontaneously. I needed the reassurance that we were all going to make it out alive. I thank God again that Tammy is not here.

Its time.

I reached my hand up above my head and clenched it into a fist- the command to terminate. I moved toward the door and kicked the door in with my booted foot.

Bang! The Twins kicked their door down as well. One of them, probably Blake, threw a globe of light  into the centre of the room and it lit up the darkness.

Ten, maybe fifteen Shadow people stood in the centre of the room, their lifeless red eyes staring at us. I breathed in the musty air and smiled. Show time.

A flash of light let me know Vanessa was in the room and the sweet sound of her blade being ripped from the sheath spurred me into action.

I ripped my babies from their sheaths and sprinted into the frenzy. The Shadows had caught on to what was happening and they started to fight back. Even better.

I saw one launch itself at me from the corner of my eye and I effortlessly removed it's fanged head with a swipe of my sabre.

Just as quickly, another came up behind me and grabbed me by the throat and slammed me to the ground. My eyes rolled to the back of my head and my vision blurred. It lifted it's head and bared his long, razor sharp fangs, preparing to rip out my throat.

I intercepted this with a swift punch to its head, rewarding me with a hiss of anger. I grunted and saw my opportunity to end this.

At the same moment I stabbed it in the head, Vanessa had speared it's back. It gave a gurgled scream and collapsed on top of me. I groaned under its dead weight and rolled him of me swiftly.

Vanessa grinned at me and called, "That's one for me!" before teleporting away to an unsuspecting Shadow on the other side of the room. He quickly fell under her blade.

I turned and saw two Shadows run at me. I met them head on and swiped at them in numerous area of their black bodies. One hit me in the side of the head with inhuman strength. I saw stars for the second time that night. I retaliated by kicking his leg from under him so that he dropped to his knees. I quickly beheaded him, spurts of black blood covering me.

I turned to take care of the other Shadow but it was already on the ground with numerous arrows poking from his back. I looked up to see Dru giving me a salute from the high window before letting another arrow fly.

The battle only lasted a few more minutes before there was only one Shadow left.

Jake was about to kill him but I called out just before his flame engulfed him, "Wait Jake!"

I jogged over to them. The Twins were struggling to hold him down so I had to make this quick.

I looked into the Shadows eyes and asked, "Why are you here?"

It hissed and spat at me, "We are here for the blood of the Empresssss."

My body tensed at the mention of Tammy. The Shadow Clan know of her. But how?

"How do you know this?" I demanded.

He smiled at me, revealing its fangs, "Everyone knowssss."

I looked at Blake, "Destroy him."

"Wait!" Anna's small voice whipped through the air.

She approached us quietly. Her gloves had been taken off before the fight. I knew she fights more with her ability then her tomahawk. There was, however no evidence of her death touch in the room. All the bodies had marks from weapons.

"I need to try something," she whispered. I watched as she timidly reached her hand out and lightly touched the Shadow's chest. The Twins struggled to hold him down. We waited for the fatal result of Anna's touch but nothing happened. Nothing happened.

"Shit!" Dru exclaimed, "Tammy took away Anna's ability!"

◆                              ◆                             ◆

Authors notes

Hi everyone :)

Hope your enjoying the book so far :)

Who's power do you like best? Comment your answer! :)

As always, if you have any feedback back I would love to hear it!

Thank you for all the comments and votes, I really appreciate it! 

VOTE! VOTE! VOTE!

Till next time

-Ellie xo