Warm Welcome

I sometimes wonder what my life would be have been like if my mother hadn't abandoned us. My father and I are great together but I have always felt as if I'm missing a part of me. That probably is the reason for my 'anger problems' as one of my previous school councillors had suggested. They always call it that before they expel me from yet another school.

My father, Zane Lilith had sat stony faced as my principal had read out my charges: "Defacing school property, breaking a class president's nose and endangering students. I'm sorry Mr Lilith but we have no choice but to expel Tammy." Principal Lucca did not look in the least bit unhappy at my dismissal, he was probably already rejoicing behind his overly large wooden desk.

Dad, who had already been through similar meetings like this two times before, knew how to look apologetic and sincere, "I understand Principal Lucca. I will pay all expenses. Thank you for not taking it to the police."

It was her fault I broke her nose anyway, I thought, she was the one who suggested that I move out of her way.

Yes I know, very immature but my temper does sometimes get the better of me. As for the accusation of defacing school property and endangering students; bringing a butter knife to school and engraving my name onto a desk hardly counts as criminal.

With the meeting finished, I followed Dad to the parking lot and awaited the usual speech.

"Tammy this is the third school you've been expelled from. The only place left to go is the old house back in Yorkshire. I've already organized a moving truck, so the sooner we pack our things, the quicker we can get there." His words made me flinch. I could hear the disappointment in his voice but the thought of living in Yorkshire quickly squashed the guilt.

Yorkshire was where my mother had left us when I was seven. I knew that dad was giving up a lot going back to where he had lost his wife. I was aware that he sympathised with me on some degree. There was no use in arguing however, once dad made up his mind, there was no changing it.

According to people who knew my mother, Elizabeth, I was the spitting image of her. Slim build, long dark hair and slightly slanted green eyes, there was no objection that I was my mother's daughter. My temper however, came from my Grandmother. She looked like a sweet old lady but as soon as you rustled her feathers, you should run for cover; totally unpredictable and scary as hell.

It took us two days to pack our belongings and cut all loose ends. I had no friends to say good bye to, save the homeless man who I greeted every morning as I walked to school. You could stay that I don't really get along with people my age, actually i don't get along with people-period.

We arrived at Yorkshire on a sunny Saturday morning. It looked like the typical town; houses, shops, schools. We rolled up the driveway to a house that I could only vaguely remember. The two storey brick house stood erect greeting us. Memories of hot summers and swing sets came rushing back to me.

"Alright kiddo let's get all these boxes inside. We can unpack them once I've finished work later." Dad worked for a company decoding software and all sorts of technology gadgets. It paid well but took up most of his time; I've learnt to look after myself.

"Sure Dad, I'll unpack some boxes in my room then go terrorize the next door neighbours." I cracked a wicked grin at him which was only returned with a stern look.

"Tammy, you're seventeen now. You need to start getting a life together. Make some friends, maybe even hangout with them on the weekends. This is a new town, a fresh start. Try not to get into too much trouble," he said, collecting his usual brief case and shrugging on his suit jacket.